Theme Explorer

Page 4 of 40 716 Records Found

Blacksmith's workshop, Mayfield

This smithy at 22 Wallash, Mayfield belonged to the Woodward family from 1805 and worked until Charles Woodward retired in 1965. Many of these tools were made by Mr Woodward and his father. It was collected ...

Bloodstone Burnishing Tool.

Bloodstone burnishing tool with a wooden handle and brass sleeve. Roughly 9cm in length. Used on ware with gold decoration. The gold would be wiped with a moist abrasive powder called silver ...

Boats and visitors, Rudyard Lake

Rudyard Lake is a reservoir and was constructed in 1797 by engineer John Rennie to feed the Caldon Branch of the Trent & Mersey Canal. It is around 2.5 miles long and covers roughly an area of 168 acres. ...

Bob Kemsley, blacksmith at Bagnall’s, Stafford

Pictured is Bob Kemsley who was photographed by the Staffordshire Newsletter for an article published on Saturday 23 August 1952, on retaining the skills of industrial veterans, many of whom were over ...

Bomb damage to Richards' Butcher's Shop, High Street, Burton-on-Trent

Scene showing the destruction of the zeppelin raid on Messrs. Richards' butcher's shop, 156-7 High Street. A few of the butcher's pigs were killed but the horse escaped.

Boon Hill, Audley

The bottom of Boon Hill Road at its junction with Bignall End Road. Audley Station can just be seen on the right and the chimneys of Diglake Colliery are seen through the trees.

Bosley Cloud

Bosley Cloud, also known as The Cloud, is a prominent hill (standing at 343 metres) situated in the Peak District, with views across the Cheshire Plain. the border between Staffordshire and Cheshire ...

Bourne & Talbot, grocers and bakers, Eccleshall

Bourne & Talbot's grocers, bakers and confectioners shop on High Street, Eccleshall. The shop opened by 1908 and in 1920 J.E. Bourne sold his business to the Stafford Industrial Co-operative Society. Image ...

Boyce Adams shop, Piccadilly, Hanley

Boyce Adams' grocers shop at 32 Piccadilly dates from 1877. In 1962 the company had eleven other shop in the Potteries, with branches as far afield as Alsager and Congleton. The top floor was a café ...

Bradbury's Wheelwrights, Great Haywood

The Bradbury family were farmers and blacksmiths. They owned Elm Farm, which was demolished in 1967 to make way for modern housing. Wheelwrights made and repaired wheels for horse-drawn vehicles. ...

Bratt & Dyke Department Store shop window, Hanley

A menswear window display at Bratt & Dyke's Hanley department store. The display features Jaeger clothing, including underwear, scarves, caops and deerstalker hats. Draper Oliver Dyke opened a shop ...

Brewster & Co., Tailors and Outfitters, 49 Market Place, Uttoxeter

Advertisement for Brewsters who were renowned locally for their made to measure suits. Mr John Henry Brewster was a tailor and outfitter whose first premises were on Carter Street. He moved to this shop ...

Brickmakers, Cradley Heath

Two women brickmakers pictured outside a workshop at Cradley Heath, West Midlands. Image courtesy of Birmingham Library.

Brickworks, Cradley Heath

Women and men workers inside a brickworks at Cradley Heath. Image courtesy of Birmingham Library.

Brickworks, Cradley Heath

Women and men workers removing bricks from a kiln at a Cradley Heath brickworks. Image courtesy of Birmingham Library.

Bridge Street, Burton-on-Trent

The North side of Bridge Street decorated to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. In the middle is the Queen's Hotel, with to the left of the pub, the Saracen's Head Inn, Maxted (a tailor and habit ...

Britannia Picture House, Cheslyn Hay

William 'Neddy' Thacker with horse and cart outside the Britannia Picture House, Rosemary Road, Cheslyn Hay. The cinema opereated during the 1930s and the site is now (2007) occupied by flats at Liberty ...

Brocton smithy

Samuel Buttery was the village blacksmith. He is seen here shoeing a horse. The smithy stood on the Green in the centre of Brocton village.