Theme Explorer

Page 4 of 29 512 Records Found

Brittain's Paper Mills, Cheddleton

Brittain's Paper Mills with the Caldon Canal in the foreground. A paper mill has stood on this site at Cheddleton since 1797, when the paper was made by hand. It was built by the pottery manufacturer ...

Brittain's Paper Mills, Cheddleton

A view of Brittain's Paper Mills at Cheddleton with the Caldon Canal passing by. A paper mill has stood on this site at Cheddleton since 1797, when the paper was made by hand. It was built by the pottery ...

Burgess & Leigh, Middleport Pottery, Stoke-on-Trent

Burgess & Leigh built the Middleport Pottery alongside the Trent & Mersey Canal in 1888-89 and it is the only complete working Victorian pottery left in Stoke-on-Trent (2o18). Traditional pottery works ...

Burley Bridge, Chesterton

The canal in this postcard view was built by Sir Nigel Gresley of Knypersley Hall to transport coal from his pits at Apedale to Newcastle-under-Lyme. Permission to build the canal was granted in 1775. ...

Burslem Canal Arm

A view taken near to the end of the Burslem arm of the Trent and Mersey Canal, with china stone on the wharf. This branch was opened in 1805 and became derelict in 1961. In the background are the bottle ...

Burslem Canal Arm

The end of the Burslem Arm of the Trent and Mersey Canal, with china stone on the wharf. This branch was opened in 1805 and became derelict in 1961. In the background are the bottle kilns of Wood's Trent ...

Caldon Canal and Pumping Station, Stockton Brook

The Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook, looking towards Etruria. A working narrow boat is moored alongside the canal towpath in the distance. On the right is Stockton Brook pumping station built for the Staffordshire ...

Caldon Canal and Pumping Station, Stockton Brook

Stockton Brook, looking towards Etruria. A working narrow boat is moored alongside the canal towpath in the distance. On the right is Stockton Brook pumping station built for the Staffordshire Potteries ...

Caldon Canal and waterworks at Stockton Brook

The view north along the Caldon Canal near middle lock at Stockton Brook. To the right is the chimney of Stockton Brook Waterworks. The waterworks were built in 1884 by the Staffordshire Potteries Water ...

Caldon Canal at Heakley Hall Farm, Norton Green

A view south west along the Caldon Canal from the bridge near Heakley Hall Farm. The buildings on the skyline are on Norton Lane. The arm of the canal to Norton Green foundry went off to the right between ...

Caldon Canal at Stanley Road, Stockton Brook

Looking east along the Caldon Canal from the Stanley Road bridge in Stockton Brook. The lock is the Top Lock (number 9) on the canal, with boats up to 72 feet long and 7 feet wide able to use the canal. ...

Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent

The Caldon Canal in a near derelict state. The road bridge carries the A53, Leek New Road and has been rebuilt and widened since the photograph was taken. Restoration of the canal took place in the 1970s. ...

Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent

The lower lock (of five) on the Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook. These locks lift the canal to its summit level. The lock overflow is at the left edge of the photograph and Stockton Brook waterworks is ...

Caldon Canal at Wall Grange

The Caldon Canal and Churnet Valley Railway at Wall Grange, near Cheddleton. The lane is Sutherland Road.

Caldon Canal from Bedford Street bridge, Hanley

Looking south along the Caldon Canal from the bridge at Bedford Street. On the left is the edge of large Bedford earthenware works operated by Ridgways. The tall building in the centre of the photograph ...

Caldon Canal from near Botteslow Street bridge, Hanley

The camera is looking east from the Caldon Canal towpath near Botteslow Street road bridge. The row of buildings on the left are the rear of Elijah Cotton's Nelson Pottery works. On the right was the ...

Caldon Canal in Abbey Hulton, Stoke-on-Trent

The bridge carries the original North Staffordshire Railway Stoke to Leek and Biddulph Valley lines over the Caldon Canal near Abbey Hulton. The line has been dismantled and is now a footpath and cycleway. ...

Caldon Canal in Hanley Park

Hanley Park opened in 1897, covering nearly 65 acres (25 hectares) and was designed by Thomas Mawson who also laid out Burslem Park. He laid the park out on what was known as "Stoke Fields", an area ...