Theme Explorer

Start Again > Sport, Arts & Leisure > Cinemas & Theatres
Page 4 of 10 165 Records Found

Hill Street, Stoke upon Trent.

From near the top of Hill Street, a view south east down towards Campbell Place at the bottom. In the distance is the spoil tip of the Glebe Coliery, Fenton, Glebedale Park today. On the left, halfway ...

Hill Street, Stoke upon Trent.

A view north west up Hill Street from Campbell Place. At the top is Honeywall. The Essoldo Cinema is visible on the right. Formerlty The Danilo, the 1800 seat cinema dates from 1939. The building was ...

Hunter marionette, by William Simmonds

William Simmonds (1876-1968) trained initially as an architect. He then studied at the Royal College of Art under Walter Crane, and at the Royal Academy schools, exhibiting at the Academy from 1903. During ...

Interior of the Sandonia Cinema, Stafford

A view of the interior of the Sandonia after the Bingo club had left, just before the Snooker Club installed a false ceiling. The colour scheme dates from the cinema's use as a Bingo Hall and is not ...

Interview with Douglas Hayward (video clip)

Watch on YouTube
 Youtube Video

Douglas Hayward talks about his passion for making marionettes, his puppet theatre at Abbots Bromley in Staffordshire and the the background and history of the art of puppetry. This video is about ...

Ironmarket, Newcastle-under-Lyme

This view was probably taken from the Municipal Hall. The white frontage of the Plaza Cinema can be seen on the edge of Nelson Place, with the spire of the Congregational Church in Kings Street visible ...

Jones & Shufflebottom's premises, Wharf Street, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph shows the old premises of Jones & Shufflebottom (Wholesale Plumbers' and Builders' Merchants) at the north end of Wharf Street, Stoke. The building was formerly the site of Prince's Hall ...

Lanchester Marionette Theatre, Stafford

Waldo Lanchester and his wife Muriel preparing for a show at King Edward VI School, Stafford in January 1952. Stafford and District Arts Council had organised a previous visit by the Lanchester Marionette ...

Laurel and Hardy society, Sons of the Desert, Another Fine Mess IV, Staffordshire

This photograph, showing a meeting of members from the Sons of the Desert, a Laurel and Hardy appreciation society, was taken by a student from Staffordsire University, as part of his studies. The 1994 ...

Lifeguards outside Odeon Cinema, Stafford,

Two mounted lifeguards outside the Odeon Cinema on Newport Road, advertising the film 'They Robbed the Bank of England'.

Macbeth - Out Out Brief Candle

Lithograph print by Ruskin Spear CBE (1911-1990). Portrait of Sir Laurence Olivier as McBeth. One of a number of prints commissioned by the Royal Shakespeare Company at Stratford-upon-Avon as designs ...

Male prototype marionette, by Werner Jackson

Marionette prototype of male figure. Unpainted, undressed but with large facial features. Made by Werner Jackson, who carved figures for the well-known puppeteer, Waldo Lanchester. Werner Jackson ...

Manager and Directors of the Theatre Royal, Hanley

Hanley's Theatre Royal had a long and colourful history until its closure in 2000. In 1840 a disused Methodist Chapel on Brunswick Street was converted into a lecture hall by Thomas Hinde, and renamed ...

Midland Red Bus in Stafford

This Midland Red Bus is pictured travelling south along Bridge Street, Stafford. On the left of the bus there is a shop called Gingham which has changed ownership many times over the years. On the right ...

Mitchell Memorial Theatre, Broad Street, Hanley

Erected in tribute to the designer of the Spitfire, the Mitchell Memorial Theatre and Youth Centre stands at the north end of Broad Street in Hanley. The foundation stone was laid in 1955 and the theatre ...

Mowgli made by Douglas Hayward

Mowgli was made with permission from Walt Disney studios for the act "The Further adventures of Mowgli".

Mr. Douglas Hayward making the puppet Ballerina for his niece.

Douglas Hayward making the Ballerina in his workshop in Abbots Bromley

Nelson Place decorated for the royal visit, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Nelson Place is seen here decorated for the visit of King George V and Queen Mary. The King and Queen visited North Staffordshire on the 22nd and 23rd April 1913, and attended a civic welcome in Nelson ...