Theme Explorer

Page 4 of 47 842 Records Found

Bedroom, Highfield Manor, Stafford,

Highfield Manor was built in 1880 by David Hollin, a boot and shoe manufacturer. In 1900 Mr Hollin commissioned a series of photographs, showing the inside and outside of his home. Although Highfields ...

Belgian Refugees, Stone

Following the German invasion of Belgium during World War I, refugees became a familiar sight in towns and villages across the country. Local photographers found them an interesting subject for postcards....

Belgian Refugees, Stone,

Belgrave Road, Dresden. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene with a group of children and cyclists. Taken at Belgrave Road, Dresden, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This is one of many street scenes in the Blake Collection. Most of them were taken ...

Belle Vale, Cradley Heath

View from road looking towards a bridge at Belle Vale, Cradley Heath. Building and slag heap behind. A woman is standing in the road with a pram and two children. Photographer: Albert Henry Yelland....

Billiard Room, Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Bird’s nest in a letter box, Uttoxeter

A postcard view of a blue tit's nest with several eggs in a letter box by the Union Workhouse in Uttoxeter. The caption reads "Tom tit's nest in letter box. Uttoxeter Union House. Slit 3/4 in. wide." ...

Bishop Lloyd’s Survey, 1693-1698, Eccleshall Area

The survey is written in the same shorthand (tachygraphy) as used by the famous diarist Samuel Peyps. “Robert Dodd of Croxton, mad swearing fellow, alehouse, said to keep a bawdy house” “William ...

Blacksmith at work, Woodseaves area

A blacksmith filing the hoof of a horse outside his smithy. If you recognise the location or the people in this photograph, please let us know. Photographer: Harry Osbourne of Woodseaves.

Blake's Garden. Photographed by William Blake.

View of Blake's garden and shed at his house "Glentworth" in Cobden Street, Dresden, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Blue Cross Charity Shop, Gaolgate Street, Stafford

View of a charity shop run by the Blue Cross, a charitable organization focused on animal welfare and the re-homing of unwanted pets. On display in the window can be seen some of the secondhand clothes ...

Boot pull

A household item used to help take off tight boots. Collected from a house in Barlaston, near Stoke on Trent. From the collections of Staffordshire County Museum.

Box iron

A cast steel box iron. The iron slug is heated on a fire or stove, picked up with tongs and placed in the iron through the lift-up gate at the rear. Two slugs would be used, one being heated while the ...

Boy on a rocking horse, Rugeley

Thought to be James 'Jim' Henry Toy, born in 1905, when aged about 2 years. He was the son of Austin Toy, a butcher of Upper Brook Street, Rugeley, and his wife Annie (nee Lyons). This portrait photograph ...

Branston Water Park, Burton-upon-Trent

Families enjoy Branston Water Park which was originally an open-cast gravel pit. This image is from a collection of photographs of Burton upon Trent commissioned and assembled by Burton upon Trent ...

Brewood Hall

Brewood Hall became the seat of William, son of Roger Fowke during the reign of Edward IV (1461-1483). It later belonged to the Monckton family and in 1930 Major R.F.P. Monckton sold it to Mr C.O. Langley. ...

Brindley Village, Hednesford, Cannock Chase

Brindley Village was the mining village of West Cannock No. 5 Colliery and the miners and their families lived in the converted Hospital Wards and outbuildings that was once Rugeley (Brindley) Military ...

British Alsatian Association, Stafford

The Stafford Branch of British Alsatian Association pictured at a Sunday afternoon training session with their dogs at Stafford Rugby Club. The Branch Secretary at the time was Mr D. Jones. Reproduced ...