Theme Explorer

Start Again > Religion & Beliefs > Monuments & Memorials
Page 4 of 19 337 Records Found

Commemorative Plaque, Butterton

Modern plaque commemorating Butterton's status as the only 'Doubly Thankful' village in Staffordshire. Such villages saw all those serving from the locality return home safely from both World Wars.

Commemorative window, St. Luke’s Church, Cannock

This commemorative window, 'the Last Communion on the Battlefield', was given by Charles Loxton in memory of his son Charles Edward Holden Loxton, known as Edward. He was a 2nd Lieutenant in the North ...

Commonwealth War Cemetery, Cannock Chase

This postcard is incorrectly titled 'The German Cemetery'. It actually shows the Commonwealth War Cemetery at Broadhurst Green on Cannock Chase. This cemetery contains the graves of 24 British and 73 ...

Commonwealth War Cemetery, Cannock Chase

This colour-tinted postcard is incorrectly titled 'The German cemetery'. It actually shows the Commonwealth War Cemetery at Broadhurst Green on Cannock Chase. This cemetery contains the graves of 24 ...

Cotton College War Memorial and St. Wilfrid’s R.C. Church, Cotton

In the foreground is Cotton College War Memorial which was erected to commemorate 40 former pupils who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by an old Cottonian, Elphege Pippet and ...

Cross in Pattingham Church-yard: sepia drawing

'The Cross in Pattingham Church Yard,' showing an octagonal pillar on a base of three steps.'J. B.,' [John Buckler.]

Crucifix Memorial to Private Lanzoni, Hanbury

Medieval-style memorial crucifix displayed in St Werburgh's Church, Hanbury. Presented to the church by Mrs G. Lanzoni of Milan in 1990, in memory of her uncle, Private A. Lanzoni. He was one of six Italian ...

Dedication and Unveiling of the Borough War Memorial, Stafford

This postcard view shows the dedication and unveiling of the Stafford Borough War Memorial in Victoria Square in 1922. The Memorial consists of a soldier standing on the top of a pedestal which lists ...

Detail of Chancel Screen, St. Mary's Church, Ingestre,

St. Mary's Church was built in 1676, and is the only church outside London to be attributed to Sir Christopher Wren. It was commissioned by Walter Chetwynd of Ingestre Hall. The interior still retains ...

Dieulacres Abbey - Tomb Top: print

'Dieulacres.' Showing a tomb top with a long cross and sword. Anonymous.

Dieulacres Abbey: sepia drawing

'Grave Stone at Dieulacres Abbey, near Leek, Staffordshire.' Showing a gravestone with a floriated cross with its top in a circle. There is a sword by the side of the shaft. Artist: 'J. B.,' [John ...

Drayton Bassett Church - Coffin lid: sepia drawing

'Fragment of a Coffin Lid in Drayton Basset Church Yard, Staffordshire,' showing a 13th century floriated cross. The cross has eight floriated arms and a central boss. Artist: 'J. B.,' [John Buckler.]...

Drayton Bassett Church - Coffin lid: woodcut engraving

Showing a coffin lid, with a crack half way up, showing the 13th century floriated cross and shaft. Inscribed, 'Drayton.' Anonymous.

Drayton Bassett Church - helmeted knight: copper-plate engraving

Showing a helmeted knight holding a banner. He is in chain armour and has a surcoat embroidered with his arms. On his left, a servant is holding a horse, likewise caparisoned. 'Ro. Vaughan sculp.,' [engraved.]...

Eccleshall - Tomb of Bishop Sampson: pen and wash drawing

Showing the tomb of Bishop Sampson (d. 1553) 'on the North Side of the Chancell in Alablaster,' with an incised slab on the top. There are coats of arms on the side, showing a cross flory between four ...

Eccleshall Church - Tomb of Bishop Bentham: pencil drawing

Tomb of Bishop Bentham who died 19th February 1578.Showing on the side a bearded man praying, behind whom are a wife and four children (one dead). On the top is an incised effigy. One shield of arms ...

Eccleshall Church - Tomb of Bishop William Overton: sepia drawing

Showing the tomb of Bishop William Overton, with effigies of his two wives, dated 1603, 'on the North side of the Chancell, of Alablaster.' [Married (1) Margeret Barlow; (2) Mary Bradstock.] In 1603 ...

Eccleshall Road Cemetery, Stafford

A four acre cemetery was opened on Eccleshall Road in Stafford in 1856. Over the years it has been extended several times and had reached 20 acres by 1940. The cemetery was designed with two chapels, ...