Theme Explorer

Start Again > Business, Trade & Industry > Mining & Quarrying
Page 37 of 37 659 Records Found

Whitfield Road, Ball Green, Stoke-on-Trent

Looking north along Whitfield Road from near the junction with Bemersley Road. In the distance is the spoil tip belonging to Chatterley Whitfield Colliery. Just to the left of the detached house in the ...

Winding gear, Birchenwood Colliery, Kidsgrove

Birchenwood colliery opened in the 1890s, most of the coal being used for coke and other by-products. The colliery actually closed in 1932, but coke and other by-product production continued by using ...

Winstanley pit, winding engine

Steam winders were invented in the 19th century, and were eventually replaced by electric winders in the 20th century around the time of nationalisation. The winding engines are the biggest power-consuming ...

Wolstanton Colliery from Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken looking south down the Fowlea Brook valley. Ricardo Street is no more, mostly lying under Middleport Park. The two winding gear towers are clearly visible and running across ...

Wolstanton Colliery, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A view of the working Wolstanton Colliery. The Colliery was demolished in the late 1980s and a retail park now stands on the site. The Colliery was opened in 1920 and was merged with Sneyd and Hanley ...

Women picketing at Florence Colliery, Longton.

This photograph, taken during the 1984 - 1985 miner's strike, shows an early morning picket line at Florence Colliery in Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Women from mining families were very active during the ...

Wooden headgear at Chatterley Whitfield colliery

Before steel headgear, wooden headgear was normally used. This photograph clearly shows the wooden headgear at Engine pit, Chatterley Whitfield colliery. The headgear is built for winding the cage ...

Woodhead Colliery Company Bridge, Consall

This wooden bridge carried the double line of a tramway over the River Churnet, Caldon Canal and Churnet Valley Railway. It was used to carry stone from Kingsley Banks to the canal wharf.

Woodhead Colliery Company Bridge, Consall

This wooden bridge carried the double line of a tramway over the River Churnet, Caldon Canal and Churnet Valley Railway. It was used to carry stone from Kingsley Banks to the canal wharf. In the background ...

World Record, West Cannock Pit

Caol miners celebrating record production at West Cannock No. 5 Colliery Western Area . They produced 251.4 metres in 5 days; a British, European and World Record. A Rugeley Times photograph (courtesy ...

Wyrley No.3 Colliery, Great Wyrley

Opened in 1905, Wyrley No.3 Colliery was owned by William Harrison Ltd until 1947, when it was taken over and managed by the National Coal Board until 1963 when it merged with Mid Cannock Colliery. This ...