Theme Explorer

Start Again > Business, Trade & Industry > Mining & Quarrying
Page 34 of 37 652 Records Found

Trent & Mersey Canal dock, Sideway, Stoke-on-Trent

A view of the Stafford Coal & Iron Company dock on the Trent & Mersey Canal at Sideway. Some of the colliery winding gear is in the background and the main railway line runs from left to right across ...

Trent Vale Brick and Tile Company marl hole, Stoke-on-Trent

The abandoned pit once belonging to the Trent Vale Brick and Tile Company was just off Rookery Lane. The camera is looking east over the Trent Valley, with Primrose Hill, Hanford to the right and Longton ...

Trying on clothes, Hem Heath Colliery , Trentham

Life during the miner's strike of 1984 / 1985 was hard for mining families, with striking miners receiving no pay and no state benefits. People donated clothes and food to the strikers and these were ...

Tunnel beneath High Lane and the Chatterley Whitfield mineral railway, Stoke-on-Trent

Looking east along the mineral railway from Chatterley Whitfield toward the entrance of the tunnel under High Lane. The photograph was taken just south of Johnson Place. The tunnel ran under what is now ...

Tunstall Station and goods yard

This is a view from the Boulevard near bridge over the Loop Line at Tunstall Station just before the station and line were closed. The camera is looking south towards Burslem, the next station on the ...

Twenty Pounds Reward - A notice from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

Goldenhill colliery owner Robert Williamson, writing from Longport, here finds himself at the centre of an industrial dispute. Combination Miners at his pit have formed a 'combination' in an effort ...

Two spoil tips from Sneyd Green, Stoke-on-Trent

The view north from the junction of Milton Road and Repington Road in Sneyd Green. In the far distance is Chatterley Whitfield spoil tip with the tip belonging to Norton Colliery in front. To the right ...

Underground charging station and garage for Clayton Pony Loco, Lea Hall Colliery, Rugeley

A set of rails run through the middle of the station, with generators and an overhead lifting beam covering both sides. Note also the roller staging to facilitate the handling of heavy batteries. Lea ...

Underground rescue ambulance, Lea Hall Colliery

Ambulance with seats of wooden slats and spring loaded bars to carry stretchers. Lea Hall was the first colliery planned and sunk by the National Coal Board. The two shafts were started in 1954 and ...

Unidentified colliery, Longton

The colliery shown is possibly Park Hall Colliery, opened in 1860. Situated on the outskirts of Longton, the underground workings were merged with Florence Colliery in 1962. The site later became the ...

Valley Mines Training Centre, Western Area, Hednesford

The Valley Mines Training Centre in Valley Road, Hednesford closed in 1982, and since 1989 has housed the Museum of Cannock Chase, previously named The Valley Heritage Centre'. It was once part of the ...

Valley Pit, Hednesford

Situated on Hednesford Common in a small valley, the remaining buildings are now home to the Museum of Cannock Chase . The pit was sunk in 1874 and was originally called Pool Pit, being sited near the ...

Vehicle garage under construction, Littleton Colliery

View of the construction of a free steering vehicle garage, with a gathering arm loader in the background. Cannock and Huntington Collieries Company started sinking both No. 1 Shaft and No. 2 Shaft ...

Victoria Colliery and Brindley Ford, Stoke-on-Trent

The view north from Peck Mill Lane up the Ford Green valley towards Brindley Ford. In the background is Victoria Colliery. Most of the landscape in the photograph has been created through dumping mining ...

Victoria Colliery, Black Bull, Stoke-on-Trent

The headgear of number 1 and 2 shafts at Victoria Colliery (also known as Black Bull). Originally part of Robert Heath's coal and iron businesses. The colliery was closed in 1982 and the site is now a ...

Victoria Colliery, Black Bull, Stoke-on-Trent

Victoria Colliery, north west of Bemersley Road. Victoria Colliery (also known as Black Bull) is the most northerly pit in the North Staffs coalfield and was developed by the ironmaster Robert Heath ...

Victoria Colliery, Black Bull, Stoke-on-Trent

No 2 upcast shaft at Victoria Colliery, also known as Black Bull after the nearby village, opened in 1857 and closed in 1982. The upcast shaft acted like a chimney being used to draw spent or foul air ...

View east from Abbey Lane, Abbey Hulton

This is a view south eastwards from Abbey Lane over the old Hanley and Bucknall Colliery dirt tips. The line of houses across the centre are on Abbey Road. Townsend is on the higher land in the distance....