Theme Explorer

Start Again > Agriculture & Countryside > Follies & Monuments
Page 3 of 4 57 Records Found

Salt Memorial, Slindon

The Salt Memorial was erected by John Charles Salt in 1884. John Salt, a member of the well-known Stafford banking family, also funded the construction of St. Chad's Church, Slindon, in 1894.

Shepherd's Monument, Shugborough Park,

The Shepherd's Monument (c.1750) takes its name from its central marble relief by the Dutch artist Peter Scheemakers, who also worked on Shugborough's Triumphal Arch. The relief is a mirror image of ...

Shugborough Park

Postcard view of Shorthorn cattle grazing in the parkland near Shugborough Park Farm with Hadrian's Arch on the skyline. The railway cutting and tunnel entrance can be seen within the iron fencing on ...

Shugborough Park and Monuments

An extensive view of the Park at Shugborough in the mid-late 18th century. Some of the monuments and follies in this view still remain: the Tower of the Winds, built 1764-5; the Triumphal Arch built ...

Shugborough Park and Monuments,

Shugborough is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of Lichfield. In the late eighteenth century, Thomas Anson, a convert to neo-classicism, commissioned James 'Athenian' ...

Stone Bench, Tixall,

This is one of two stone seats situated approximately half a mile from Tixall on the Tixall to Stafford road. The seats were placed here in memory of Thomas Hartshorne; they replaced seats placed there ...

The Alcove, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the Alcove, sometimes known as the Small Temple or Rotunda, with the Conservatory on the right in the background. The gardens were created by the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury between about ...

The Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

The Folly at Mow Cop

A postcard view of the folly at Mow Cop published by the Doncaster Rotophoto Co Ltd. The ruined castle folly at Mow Cop was designed by Randle Wilbraham so that it could be seen from his home at Rode ...

The Folly at Mow Cop

The ruined castle folly at Mow Cop was designed by Randle Wilbraham so that it could be seen from his home at Rode Hall. It stands nealy 1100 feet high on the borders of Cheshire and Staffordshire. There ...

The Ruin, Shugborough Park

The Ruin is situated on the banks of the River Sow; this monument was built c.1750 using stone from sections of Shugborough Hall pulled down during alterations. The architect was Thomas Wright of Durham, ...

The Ruins and The Orangery

A view from the west front of Shugborough Hall, looking towards the River Sow and showing the Ruin, built in about 1749-1750, and the Orangery to the right, built in 1764 by James 'Athenian' Stuart and ...

The Terrace, Alton Towers

A postcard view looking east along the Terrace with the Conservatories on the left. At the end of the path is the Alcove, sometimes known as the Small Temple or Rotunda. The gardens were created by the ...

The view from Summerbank, Tunstall

Looking west from the Summerbank area of Tunstall. The Wedgwood Monument on Bignall Hill stands on the skyline in the centre. Taken from just outside Summerbank Primary School, the ground falls away into ...

The Webb Stone, Bradley

Two young women are pictured bowing their heads by the Webb Stone in Bradley. Bradley village situated in the centre of one of the most extensive parishes in the diocese, has been well-known for its ...

The West Front of Shugborough

A view of the west front of Shugborough, showing the full extent of the Ruin on the banks of the River Sow. To the left can be seen the Chinese House, built in 1747, and the Orangery, built in 1764 by ...

Tower of the Winds, Shugborough Park,

The original Tower of the Winds in Athens was an octagonal tower featuring carvings in relief, each depicting the nature of the wind. On the top of the tower was a bronze weathervane. Shugborough's ...

Tower of the Winds, Shugborough Park,

The original Tower of the Winds in Athens was an octagonal tower featuring carvings in relief, each depicting the nature of the wind. On the top of the tower was a bronze weathervane. Shugborough's ...