Theme Explorer

Start Again > Parks & Gardens > Rivers & Streams
Page 3 of 5 78 Records Found

Shugborough Hall and the Essex Bridge: engraving

'Shugborough.' View taken behind the Hall from the south east. Showing a bridge of twenty-one arches over the River Trent (with a barge on the canal in the foreground). The Hall is in the distance ...

Shugborough Hall, Front Elevation,

Shugborough is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of Lichfield. The central block of the house was built in 1693. Thomas Wright of Durham designed the pavilions ...

Shugborough Park and Monuments,

Shugborough is the ancestral home of the Anson family, who were later created the Earls of Lichfield. In the late eighteenth century, Thomas Anson, a convert to neo-classicism, commissioned James 'Athenian' ...

St. Thomas' Mill, Overflow, Stafford,

St. Thomas' Mill was built on the site of a medieval priory which was dedicated to St. Thomas Becket. The priory was broken up during the Dissolution. In 1765 the property passed to the ancestors ...

Stafford views

Colour tinted postcard with five views of Stafford: the Castle, St. Mary's Church, Church Lane and two views of Victoria Park. Postcard published by E.T.W. Dennis & Sons Ltd., Scarborough and London....

Stone Bridge, Brewood

A postcard view of a quiet scene by the Stone Bridge and River Penk, near Brewood. The spire of St. Mary and St. Chad's Church can be seen in the background. Stone Bridge, or Somerford Bridge, is ...

Stone from Stafford Road,

Stretton Farm House and Watermill, near Penkridge

A postcard view of Stretton Farm House with a glimpse of the Watermill on the right. There is a note on the reverse of this postcard which mentions “the stretch of water in the picture is part of the ...

Tamworth Castle and Mill

This photograph shows the mill at Tamworth on the right hand side, with the castle in the background on the left. The mill was demolished in 1920.

Testing the New Riverway Bridge, Stafford

This view is from the town side of the bridge, looking towards Littleworth. The road officially opened on 15 December 1914. A plaque on the right hand pillar commemorates the event. Plumblines are ...

The Gardens, Alton Towers

A postcard view from the top of the Cascade looking east over the Gardens towards the Gothic Prospect Tower (top centre left). Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It ...

The Pool, Stafford

View from the footbridge looking towards the Moat House and King Edward VI Grammar School on Newport Road. Until 1957 the Town Mill stood near this site; the mill wheels are still preserved in the ...

The River Trent near City Road, Stoke-on-Trent

The River Trent flowing through the city near City Road, Stoke. Here the river has been canalised with concrete sides and diverted into culverts beneath the roads and streets. In the background, the ...

The Ruins and The Orangery

A view from the west front of Shugborough Hall, looking towards the River Sow and showing the Ruin, built in about 1749-1750, and the Orangery to the right, built in 1764 by James 'Athenian' Stuart and ...

The Ruins, Shugborough

The Ruin is situated on the banks of the River Sow; this monument was built in abou 1749-1750 using stone from sections of Shugborough Hall pulled down during alterations. The architect was Thomas Wright ...

The Weir Stafford

The Weir on the River Sow in Stafford Park. In the background is the Station Hotel.

The West Front of Shugborough

A view of the west front of Shugborough, showing the full extent of the Ruin on the banks of the River Sow. To the left can be seen the Chinese House, built in 1747, and the Orangery, built in 1764 by ...

Tixall Hall and Gate-house,

The Aston family from Haywood acquired the Tixall estate through marriage; the hall was rebuilt in 1555. In 1580 Sir Walter Aston added the gate-house. Six years later Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned ...