Theme Explorer

Start Again > Staffordshire Places
Page 3 of 9 149 Records Found

Chesterton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The village of Chesterton at the crossroads between Castle Street, Wolstanton Road and London Road. Loomer Road had yet to be constructed. A large roundabout regulates the traffic between these roads ...

Church Eaton

Church Eaton is a linear village situated approximately 2 miles south east of Gnosall and 6 miles from Stafford and Penkridge. The parish also includes the hamlets of Wood Eaton, High Onn, Little Onn ...

Clayton Fields,Newcastle-under-Lyme

A view across Clayton Fields, prior to the construction of Westbury Park. Aside from Bunny Hill and Rowley Wood in the distance, the landscape in this image has been transformed since the 1970s by the ...

Clayton School, Clayton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Clayton School was demolished just prior to the construction of a roundabout which now connects Westbury Park to Clayton Road and Northwood Lane.

Clifton Campville

Clifton Campville is a village situated in the south- eastern corner of the county, close to the borders of the three adjoining counties of Leicestershire, Warwickshire and Derbyshire. The river Mease ...

Corporation Street Council Schools, Stafford

Built in 1895. The first headmaster was John Wheeldon, who first came to Stafford in 1880 as Headmaster of the British School in Earl Street. In 1895 he became the first Headmaster of Corporation Street ...

County Buildings, Stafford

The buildings were designed by an emerging young architect, Henry Hare and opened in October 1895. Henry won £150 in a competition in 1892 to design the new council hall in which County Councillors could ...

Dilhorne

The village of Dilhorne is situated in the south of the Staffordshire Moorlands and in the north-east of the county. The name itself derives from the Anglo-Saxon, ‘dulf’, which means a digging. This ...

Drayton Bassett

The village of Drayton Bassett is situated about three miles south of Tamworth in the extreme south-west corner of the county. It is notable as the home of the Peel family and for the nearby pleasure ...

Edingale

The small village of Edingale is situated in the Mease Valley, north of Tamworth and on the border with Derbyshire. It has a tiny green at its heart which Dr Robert Plot suggested might be a Roman burial ...

Elford

Elford is an attractive village, situated about 4 miles north-west of Tamworth in a bend of the River Tame. The name ‘Elford’’ is probably derived from Elle’s ford, Elle being an Old English name. ...

Ellastone

The village of Ellastone is situated about five miles north east of Uttoxeter on the border with Derbyshire on the River Dove. Upper Ellastone includes the church and the main centre of the village on ...

Endon

Endon is situated four miles south - west of Leek. Although there is a considerable amount of modern development along the road from the town of Leek to Stoke, Endon has an old village centre off the ...

Enville

The rural village of Enville is situated south- west of Wolverhampton on the county boundary and on the road between Stourbridge to Bridgenorth. The village is possibly best known first for the grounds ...

Essington

Essington is situated about four miles north east of Wolverhampton. Despite its modern appearance, it has a much older history. The name has three elements and derives from the Anglo-Saxon name of ‘Esne’, ...

Farewell

Farewell lies approximately two miles north-west of Lichfield. The name, meaning ‘clear spring’ derives from the Anglo-Saxon name of ‘frager’ meaning ‘fair’ or ‘clear’ and ‘wiell’ meaning ‘spring’. Farewell ...

Fazeley

The village of Fazeley is situated close to Tamworth on the flood plain of the River Tame on Watling Street. Its low lying position has meant that the village has suffered from its fair share of floods ...

Forton

Forton is a small village situated to the west of Stafford above the River Meese and by the county boundary. It comprises the hamlets of Warton, Sutton, Forton and Meretown. The name, Forton, may mean ...