Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 6 99 Records Found

Harecastle Tunnels, Kidsgrove

N.S.R. engineering narrowboat moored alongside the towpath between the Brindley legging tunnel and the Thomas Telford additional parallel tunnel with towpath. A working narrowboat, J. & G. Meakin's ...

Hartshill railway station, Stoke-on-Trent

A photograph taken from a wagon in the siding at Hartshill and Basford Halt. The camera is looking west towards the mouth of the tunnel taking the line to Newcastle. The station, opened in 1905, was on ...

Hollyford Bridge, Tixall,

Hollyford Bridge spans the River Sow between Tixall and the Shugborough estate.

Installation of the Main Sewage System, Milwich,

Prior to 1984 Milwich was not served by the main sewage system. This photograph was taken on Main Street.

Iron Bridge, Shugborough,

This bridge carried the drive from Shugborough Hall to Little Haywood. It was removed during the 1950s, leaving the section across the Trent & Mersey Canal.

Ladder Bridge, Stafford

The Ladder Bridge spanned the River Penk at its junction with the Sow. The bridge was used by the canal boatmen who would bring their boats from the canal lock at Baswich to the wharf near to the Greengate ...

Lanthorn of Demosthenes, Shugborough Park

Also known as the Dark Lantern, the Lanthorn was the last Neo-classical monument to be designed by James 'Athenian' Stuart for Shugborough. It was completed in 1771. The original, the Choragic Monument ...

Leekbrook Tunnel

A Standard Class 2 locomotive, number 75035, emerges from Leekbrook tunnel in Staffordshire during the 1960s. Despite closure to goods traffic in 1988, this stretch of line through the Churnet Valley ...

Lock Keeper's Cottage, Stone,

This lock keeper's cottage, at lock 32 at the Meaford flight of locks on the Trent and Mersey Canal, alongside brdge number 97, has now been demolished.

Manor House and Dry Moat, Eccleshall Castle,

Archaeological surveys have found evidence of two other towers, on the south-east and north-west corners; it is probable there was also a fourth tower on the south-west corner. A bridge, which has survived, ...

Miss Colton by waterwheel, Rugeley,

Pamela Logan, Miss Colton 1961 title holder. This area of Rugeley was cleared during the 1960s to make way for the Indoor Market.

Motorcyclists, Levedale Road, Penkridge

This postcard view shows two men on similar motorcycles on Levedale Road, Penkridge. These motorcycles are thought to be Humbers and both have a prefix letter ‘E’ on their registration plates, also known ...

Newcastle Road, Stone,

View of Newcastle Road looking towards the town centre. On the left is Limedale Court. In the centre is the railway bridge which carries the Stone to Norton Bridge railway line over the road, with ...

Newcastle Road, Stone,

View of Newcastle Road looking away from the town centre. The bridge in the distance carries the Stone to Norton Bridge railway line over the road. On the far left is the Boat Inn, owned by Bent's ...

Norbury Junction,

Norbury Junction was the junction between the Newport and the Liverpool and Birmingham sections of the Shropshire Union Canal. The Newport branch of the canal was little used after 1920 and was closed ...

Normacot tunnel, Meir

The photograph shows the eastern end of Normacot tunnel near Meir Station. The railway is the Crewe to Derby line via Stoke. The houses running across above tunnel are on Station View and Meir Station ...

On the corner of Pinnox Street and Scotia Road, Tunstall

The camera is looking west along Pinnox Street from the junction with Scotia Road. The bridge (now demolished) in the foreground carried the Potteries Loop Line over Pinnox Street. The "half timbered" ...

Picnic at Norbury Junction

Norbury Junction was the junction between the Shrewsbury and the Liverpool and Birmingham sections of the Shropshire Union Canal. The Newport branch of the canal was little used after 1920 and was closed ...