Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 5 86 Records Found

Hatherton Hall and Park

A postcard view of Hatherton Park with a glimpse of Hatherton Hall by the lake and amongst the trees. Hatherton Hall is a Grade 2 listed building built in 1817 in the Tudor Gothic style for Moreton ...

Hawkesyard Priory and College, Armitage

Hawkesyard Priory near Armitage, built to the designs of E. Goldie in 1896-1914, in the Gothic perpendicular style, is on the left. The College, housed in the older Hawkesyard Hall is on the right. The ...

Heron Court Congregational Church, Rugeley

This postcard view of the Heron Court Congregational Church also captures a glimpse of Heron Court Mansion on the right. The Mansion was built in 1851 by Joseph Robert Whitgreave as his residence. In ...

Holy Trinity Church, Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent

The south side and east end of Holy Trinity Church in Hartshill as seen from Vicarage Road. This church dates from 1842, designed by Gilbert Scott and financed by the potter Herbert Minton. Attached was ...

Hospital and School of St. John, Alton

A postcard view looking north of the right range of the Hospital and School, Alton. It was begun in 1840 by A.W.N. Pugin around three sides of a quadrangle, facing Alton Castle. The left range and half ...

Hot Lane Methodist Chapel, Hot Lane, Burslem

Believed to have been built pre 1869 as a stone plaque, built into the gable, reads :"Primitive Methodist Chapel Enlarged 1869". The two storey building is rendered with a buttress at either side. It ...

Hot Lane Methodist chapel, Hot Lane, Burslem

This building is believed to have been erected pre 1869 as a stone plaque, built into the gable, reads :"Primitive Methodist Chapel Enlarged 1869". The two storey building is rendered with a buttress ...

Lodge House, Aqualate Hall,

One of the two Gothic style lodge-houses belonging to Aqualate Hall. The original Aqualate Hall was built for Edwin Skrymsher in the early seventeenth century. Sir John Boughey bought the house in ...

No.1 Campbell Place, Stoke upon Trent

No.1 Campbell Place was The District Bank building on the corner of Hill Street and Campbell Place. The shops on Church Street can be seen to the right.In 1970 the District Bank was absorbed into the ...

Octagon, Alton Towers

The Octagon was built in about 1824 but was extensively remodelled by A.W.N. Pugin in 1841-1842. He increased its height and based its design on a medieval chapter house. By the 1830s it was used to house ...

Orme Boys School, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A watercolour by an unknown nineteenth century artist of the Orme Boys' School. The Orme School was founded in about 1705 by Reverend Edward Orme, who was dissatisfied with Newcastle Grammar School, where ...

Powell’s Tea Rooms, Bargate Street, Brewood

This picture was taken on Bargate Street in Brewood. On the left are the Gothic windows of Speedwell Castle, in the centre is Birch’s grocers shop and on the right is Powell’s Tea Rooms in its first location. ...

Pynest Street, Shelton

Looking east along Pynest Street towards Howard Place and Stoke Road. The terraced houses date from the second half of the 19th Century. These houses have gothic style doors and windows with Minton tiles ...

Ribbon Border, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the Ribbon Border and gardens at Alton Towers, with the Towers in the distance. The gardens were created by the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury between about 1810 and 1827.

River Churnet and Bridge, Alton

A postcard view of the River Churnet and bridge looking south-east with Alton Castle on the right. Within Alton Castle are the remains of the medieval castle, built in about 1175 by Bertram de Verdun, ...

Roman Catholic Church, Hednesford

A colour-tinted postcard view of Our Lady of Lourdes Roman Catholic Church in Hednesford, built 1928 to 1934 in the French-Gothic style. It was designed by George Bernard Cox of the Birmingham firm of ...

Shot Tower, Alton Towers

The Shot Tower stands on the north-east corner of the curtain wall, built in 1842 and designed by A.W.N. Pugin. The road through the archway leads to the Grand Entrance to Alton Towers. This postcard ...

Source of the River Trent, Biddulph Moor

Also known as Trent Head Well, this is actually one of a number of sources of the River Trent which rise on the southern part of Biddulph Moor. The photographer is believed to have been taken by H.J. ...