Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 16 274 Records Found

Bore Street, Lichfield

The title on this postcard ‘Old houses in Bare Street, Lichfield’ is incorrect. This view is in Bore Street, Lichfield. Second from the left is the Guildhall which was rebuilt in the 19th century, ...

Borough Hall, Stafford

The Borough Hall was designed in 1876 by local architect Henry Ward who also designed Stafford Grammar School. We are unable to identify the publisher of this card which was printed in Germany. The design ...

Borough Hall, Stafford

This postcard view shows the Borough Hall on Eastgate Street which was designed by Henry Ward, the Borough architect. It opened on 20 June 1877. Stafford Borough Council offices, the Library and the ...

Bourne Chapel, Longton. Photographed by William Blake.

Church exterior taken at Bourne Chapel, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire.

Brewood Hall

Brewood Hall became the seat of William, son of Roger Fowke during the reign of Edward IV (1461-1483). It later belonged to the Monckton family and in 1930 Major R.F.P. Monckton sold it to Mr C.O. Langley. ...

Broom (now Worcestershire) Church: engraving

Part of a plate showing the figure of St. Kenelm and a carving on a pew in the church. Broom was in Staffordshire until 1895, since when it has been part of Worcestershire. Anonymous.

Burntwood Asylum

This postcard view shows the entrance front of Burntwood Asylum, later St. Matthew's Hospital, a name officially adopted in 1948. The hospital was built by the County of Stafford for mentally ill patients ...

Calvary, Hawkesyard Priory, Rugeley

A postcard view of the Calvary in the gardens at Hawkesyard Priory. A Calvary is a sacred cross, particular to the Roman Catholic church, usually with the figure of Christ on a crucifix. Calvary is ...

Carved Stone, Eccleshall Church. Photographed by William Blake.

Anglo-saxon carved stone built into the walls of the vestry at the north-west end of Eccleshall church.

Carved Stone, Eccleshall Church. Photographed by William Blake.

Anglo-saxon carved stone built into the walls of the vestry at the north-west end of Eccleshall church.

Chancel Screen, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,

Screen in the north chancel prior to the 1930s alterations. The Bosville Chapel, now called the Lady Chapel, is behind. Holy Trinity Church dates from the twelfth century. The chancel was replaced ...

Chapel Interior, Alton Towers

The Chapel was designed by Thomas Fradgley and Joseph Potter and completed by 1833, but the interior was remodelled or completed by A.W.N. Pugin after 1839. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot ...

Chapel, Alton Towers

This postcard view was taken looking from the south-east. On the left is the Armoury and the Picture Gallery, centre left the Conservatory which was built in about 1815 to 1819 to designs by Thomas Hopper ...

Checkley Church, The Foljambe Tomb. Photographed by William Blake.

Church interior with a view of the Foljambe Tomb, dedicated to Godfrey and Margaret Foljambe and dated 1563, at St. Mary & All Saints Church, Church Lane, Checkley, Staffordshire.

Church of the Holy Angels, Hoar Cross

A postcard view of the church which was built between 1872-1876 in the Decorated style. The architect, G.F. Bodley, was also responsible for most of the furnishings including the reredos, screens, front ...

Church of the Holy Angels, Hoar Cross

View from the nave, looking towards the chancel and the altar. The church was built between 1872-1876 in the Decorated style. The architect, G.F. Bodley, was also responsible for most of the furnishings ...

Church of the Holy Angels, Hoar Cross

The ornately carved organ screen and black and white marble floor were designed by G.F. Bodley, the architect of the church. The church was built between 1872-1876 in the Decorated style. The architect, ...

Conduit Street, Lichfield

This postcard view looks northwest along Conduit street to the Market Square. On the left is the Corn Exchange, also on the left is a glimpse of a covered stall in the Market Square, the spires of the ...