Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 40 709 Records Found

Accrington Pals at Rugeley Camp, Cannock Chase

W (Accrington) Company group at Rugeley Camp on Penkridge Bank, Cannock Chase in 1915. Cannock Chase had been used as a military training ground since the 1870s. During the First World War two military ...

Accrington Pals at Rugeley Camp, Cannock Chase

W (Accrington) Company group at Rugeley Camp on Penkridge Bank, Cannock Chase in 1915. The man standing in the doorway, pipe in mouth, has been identified as 5688 Sgt. William Nuttall by his grandson, ...

Accrington Pals on Cannock Chase

X (District) Company group above a rifle range, most likely at Cannock Chase in the summer of 1915. 15925 Pte. William Henry Parkinson is third from left in the back row. Cannock Chase had been used ...

Accrington Pals on Cannock Chase

W (Accrington) Company group at musketry practice in the summer of 1915. Recent research by Bill Flentje and David Harding suggests the location to be Cannock Chase. 15223 L/Cpl. Walter Briggs is standing ...

Air Crash Memorial Service, Grindon

On 13 February 1947, a Halifax RT 922 aircraft crashed on Grindon Moor, near Sheldon Farm, killing the crew of 8. It was apparently trying to drop supplies to Grindon village during the hard winter of ...

Alfred Harrison outside Seighford Hall

Alfred Harrison on horseback outside Seighford Hall. He was born in 1884, Tettenhall, near Wolverhampton. He is believed to have been a farmer, and served in the Army during the 1st World War, possibly ...

Ambulances, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

Four ambulances with drivers and auxiliaries outside Heath House, near Tean, pictured during a voluntary blood donors day. With the support of the Phillips family, Heath House was used as a Red Cross ...

Ambulances, Heath House Auxiliary Hospital, Tean

An ambulance marked 'American Ambulance - Great Britain' on the passenger door with auxiliaries and Army personnel, pictured on the drive outside Heath House, near Tean during a voluntary blood donation ...

An invitation to dine with the local volunteer corps - Hand Written Letter from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

Hand-written letter from Major Williamson of the Longport Corps., inviting Enoch Wood to dinner on Wednesday 21st April 1813. It reads; Major Williamson and the officers of the Longport Corps request ...

ANZAC Service, Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetary, Cannock Chase

Jim Preston, a Durham Light Infantry veteran of North-west Europe, Malaya and Korea places a wreath on behalf of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade at the annual ANZAC Service held at the Commonwealth War ...

ANZAC Soldiers at Brocton Camp, Cannock Chase

ANZAC was the abbreviation for the Australian & New Zealand Army Corps and was formed early in the conflict of the Great War answering the British Empire's call to arms. The Expeditionary Force originally ...

Armistice Day 1918, Rugeley Camp, Cannock Chase

A German Prisoner of War is hoisting the Union Jack on the YMCA Hut ,which is probably one of the two along Penkridge Bank Road. A large number of the PoWs were sent out to do work in the area to undertake ...

Army and Navy Stores, Wolverhampton Road, Cannock

On the left of the Army and Navy Stores is a shop advertising Bukta Scout Kit. On the right is a branch of Barclays Bank. The buildings still stand and are now (2019) occupied by Subway, Crested Schoolwear ...

Army Cadet Force, Stone

Army Cadet Force members pictured on the sports field at Alleyne's Grammar School, Oulton Road, Stone. Front right is Bugler C.R. Haynes. The Photographer is A.J. Guy of Stafford.

Army Cadets on parade, Market Place, Uttoxeter

Army Cadets on parade through Uttoxeter town centre on Coronation Day, 2nd June 1953. View looking towards the Old Talbot pub, the Milk Bar, and Mellor's Opticians.

Army Cadets Party, Stone

The Stone Air Defence Cadet Corps, later the A.T.C., was founded in May 1941, with the help of Squadron-Leader H.C. (Claude) Cooksey. Stone Senior Council School was used as a centre, but the A.T.C. ...

Army cadets, Uttoxeter ACF

Army camp, Milford Common

Men from the North Staffordshire Regiment pictured at a camp on Milford Common during the Great War. Third from left, in shirtsleeves holding bread and knife, is Jack Harper. In civilian life he was ...