Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 4 72 Records Found

St. George's Hospital Chapel, Stafford

This was originally the chapel for the County Asylum on Corporation Street. The asylum opened in 1818, to accommodate 120 private and pauper patients. The hospital moved to Seisdon near Wolverhampton ...

Stable block, Stafford Prison

The ground floor of the administration block, built in 1794, was being renovated after being used for storage for many years. Photograph taken by David Laker who recalls: The admin block was originally ...

Stafford - County Gaol: water colour painting

County Gaol, Stafford.' Showing the top of a large building behind a high wall. There are fields surrounding the compound, and a house in the foreground to the left of the Gaol. Anonymous, [S. Shaw.] ...

Stafford - Round Tower of the Gaol: sepia drawing

'Tower at the North West angle of the Gaol at Stafford.' Showing a round, crenellated tower of a crusading type. [It is one of four added at about this date.] There are three-storey houses on the ...

Stafford - The Old House of Correction: water colour painting

'The Old House of Correction, Stafford,' [rebuilt in 1832]. Showing an irregular three storey building, with a bell on the roof. Anonymous.

Stafford Gaol

A view of the towers which stood on the corner of Crooked Bridge Road and Gaol Road. They were demolished in 1953 when they were found to be unsafe. The towers were built in the mid-nineteenth century ...

Stafford Gaol

A postcard view showing two of the towers at Stafford Gaol, on the corner of Gaol Road and Crooked Bridge Road. Three towers were added in the mid-nineteenth century to provide accommodation for the warders ...

Stafford Gaol

A colour-tinted view of the Gate house toe] Stafford Gaol, looking north along Gaol Road. The gate-house stood on Gaol Road and contained the reception ward and a room for the warders. The roof of the ...

Stafford Gaol Burial Ground

The prison burial ground, located next to the chapel. In 1834 executed prisoners were ordered to be buried within the prison grounds. William Palmer's grave is under the window on the right. Palmer, ...

Stafford Lock-up

The eighteenth century Forebridge Lock-up in Stafford was used to temporarily detain local drunks and vagrants. It was demolished and re-erected near to its original site in 1976, to make way for the ...

Stafford Lock-up,

The lock-up on Lichfield Road dates from the early eighteenth century. It was built from stone taken from the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel which once stood on this site. Lock-ups were used ...

Stafford Prison 'A' Wing

Photograph of David Laker (right) and Officer P.E.I. John Pattinson (now deceased) taken on the 'Threes' in 'A' Wing looking towards 'C' Wing.

Stafford Prison Chapel

The original chapel was built in 1852, during a period of alteration and expansion within the prison structure. This chapel was situated behind the women's gaol; a gallery at the southern end was designed ...

Stafford Prison Gate-house

The Gate-house stood on Gaol Road and contained the reception ward and a room for the warders. The roof of the gate-house was used as the place of execution until 1817, when new gallows were built on ...

Stafford Prison New Church, interior

Interior view of the new church built inside Stafford H.M. Prison in 1991(?). The church caters for both Church of England and Roman Catholic services. An earlier chapel in the prison was built in ...

Stafford Prison Old Church, interior

Interior view of the temporary chapel, built in 1954 following the demolition of its predecessor. A new church was built in 1991(?) The earlier chapel in the prison was built in 1852, during a period ...

Stafford Prison, New Church

Exterior view of the new church built inside Stafford H.M. Prison in 1991(?). The church caters for both Church of England and Roman Catholic services. An earlier chapel in the prison was built in ...

Stone-breaking Yard, Stafford Gaol

Prisoners were put to work on treadwheels, pin-heading or stone-breaking. This was a form of punishment and also enabled the prisoner to earn his keep. Here prisoners with wheel barrows are collecting ...