Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 4 60 Records Found

Mechanical Apparatus for Firefighting - an advertisement from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

In Enoch Wood's day, factories and coal mines needed more than buckets of sand to put out serious blazes. The trouble was that there was - as yet - no rapid-response fire service to call upon. Unsurprisingly, ...

National Fire Service, Eccleshall

National Fire Servicemen outside the Fire Station on High Street, Eccleshall. Eccleshall Fire Station was erected in High Street in 1891. More recently, the building has been a hairdressing salon and ...

Notice from Ralph Wedgwood - Document from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

Glazes and Ovens Printed notice from inventor Ralph Wedgwood. He claims to have devised a way of recycling waste pottery to make glaze. The glaze is touted as being of superior quality to lead ...

Pageant Parade, Eccleshall,

Parade seen on High Street, possibly celebrating George V's Silver Jubilee in 1937. The sign reads 'Never Get There Fire Brigade'.

Patent Potter's Ovens - Document from the Enoch Wood Scrapbook

Protecting ideas Printed notice informing pottery manufacturers of Valentine Close and James Keeling's successful application for patent on a new oven design. The new design promises to use less ...

Restored Fire Engine, Eccleshall,

Restored fire engine 'Eagle', now housed in the new fire station on Newport Road. The original fire station was erected in High Street in 1891. Today the building is a hairdressing salon.

Rugeley Volunteer Fire Brigade

In 1900 this volunteer fire brigade, established in 1886, consisted of a captain and 11 men and a manual engine. The fire bell was in the tower of the public building and the keys to the fire station ...

Stafford Fire Brigade and Engine,

Stafford fire engine and firemen. This fire engine is a Leyland Tiger Pump Escape and was named 'Evelyn' after a Mayoress. It remained on duty at Stafford Fire Station at least until 1950.

Stafford Fire Station

Fire station buildings on Lammascote Road. The fire station was moved from Mill Bank in about 1971 and remained here until 1998. The site is now occupied by Asda supermarket. In the background are ...

Stafford Fire Station

Fire station buildings on Lammascote Road. The fire station was moved from Mill Bank in about 1971 and remained here until 1998. The site is now occupied by Asda supermarket. the fire engine in the ...

Stafford Fire Station,

View of Stafford Fire Station on Mill Bank. The fire engine to the left is a Leyland Tiger Pump Escape named 'Evelyn'. The fire engine by the fire station bays is a Dennis Pump Escape. To the right ...

Stafford Volunteer Fire Brigade and Engines, Stafford,

Stafford Volunteer Fire Brigade, established in 1877, on the grammar school playing field. The school building can be seen in the background. The horse-drawn, steam powered engine was named 'Elizabeth' ...

Stafford Volunteer Fire Brigade,

Group portrait of Stafford Volunteer Fire Brigade, established 1877.

Stoke-on-Trent Fire Brigade

Four fire fighters and tender pictured at Longton Fire Station which stood near the junction of Commerce Street and Uttoxeter Road. Note the headlamp dimmers used during blackout in World War II. Jack ...

Stoke-on-Trent Fire Brigade

Photograph of a group of six fire fighters and tender pictured at Longton Fire Station which stood near the junction of Uttoxeter Road and Commerce Street. Note the pottery works in the background.

Stone Fire Brigade and Horse-drawn Fire Engine,

T. Rowntree's New Invented Churn - Advertisement from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

A New Invention and some Bold Claims Advertisement for a new kind of milk churn consisting of two almost horizontal cylinders on a stand. The manufacturer explains the advantages of using this churn ...

The Crown and Anchor, Stone

The thatched Crown and Anchor public house was built in 1675, but was severely damaged by fire in 1937. It was rebuilt in time to celebrate George VI's coronation the following year.