Theme Explorer

Start Again > Buildings, Architecture, Monuments > Public Art & Sculpture
Page 3 of 5 76 Records Found

Norman Font, St. Mary's Church, Stafford,

St. Mary's Church font is Norman in date but the shape and design is foreign, possibly Byzantine. Lions and other creatures are carved around the base and the Latin inscription translates as 'You are ...

North Stafford Hotel and Josiah Wedgwood statue, Stoke upon Trent

A view of Winton Square showing the Neo-Jacobean style North Stafford Hotel, on the left, which was opened as the Railway Hotel in 1849. To the right are three houses (Nos 4,5 & 6) built in the same style ...

Oriental Figures, Stafford,

These oriental figures date from the eighteenth century and topped the front a tea warehouse in Market Street. Made from a hard plaster known as Roman Cement, the figures were a form of advertisement ...

Public sculpture, Bucknall New Road, Hanley

A sculpture of two women sited John Salt and Son's butchers shop at 21 Bucknall New Road. The sculpture is no longer at this location and the shop has ceased trading.

Remains of Priory Stonework, St. Thomas' Farm, Stafford,

St. Thomas' Priory Farm was built on the site of a medieval priory which was dedicated to St. Thomas Becket. The priory was broken up during the Dissolution. In 1765 the property passed to the ancestors ...

Sculpture, Old Hall Street, Hanley

Bronze sculpture 'Her Head" by Dhruva Mistry. It is sited on the corner of the Potteries Way ring road and Old Hall Street in Hanley. This sculpture was commissioned for the National Garden Festival ...

Sculpture, Washlands, Burton-upon-Trent

'Saint Modwen', a steel and wood wind sculpture by John Fortnum on the Burton Washlands. It was unveiled on 5 August 1995 by Stan Clarke CBE, Chairman of St. Modwen Properties. It was commissioned by ...

South Chapel, St. Mary's Church, Swynnerton,

On the left is a seven foot high statue of Christ, who is seated and pointing to a wound in his side. The statue dates from the thirteenth century and was found buried beneath the floor of the chapel. Due ...

St. Chad's Church, Stafford,

St. Chad's dates from the Norman period and is one of Stafford's oldest churches. The church was originally built in an open square, but since the seventeenth century it was surrounded by shops and housing, ...

St. Mary’s Church, Lichfield

This postcard view shows St. Mary's Church which dates from the late 19th century, having replaced a church of 1717-21 which had been built following the collapse of part of the medieval church spire ...

St. Mary's Church Interior, Stafford,

The Collegiate Church of St. Mary is the parish church of Stafford. The present building is a mixture of genuine medieval and the work of Gilbert Scott, who restored the church in 1841 - 1844 who restored ...

St. Mary's Church Interior, Stafford,

The Collegiate Church of St. Mary is the parish church of Stafford. The present building is a mixture of genuine medieval and the work of Gilbert Scott, who restored the church in 1841 - 1844 who restored ...

Stafford Art Gallery, The Green, Stafford

This view of an exhibition in one of the galleries at Stafford’s Art Gallery was taken by Stafford photographer Tony Boydon. Stafford Museum's origins lie with the Wragge Museum opened in the Borough ...

Stafford Art Gallery, The Green, Stafford

This view of a Braid exhibition in one of the galleries at Stafford’s Art Gallery was taken by Stafford photographer Tony Boydon. Stafford Museum's origins lie with the Wragge Museum opened in the ...

Stafford Castle, Interior,

The hall, showing oak panelling and a frieze of carved 'hippocamps' or sea horses. The coloured coats of arms represent the Royal arms and the crosses on the wall once supported armour. The marble relief ...

Stafford Castle, Interior,

Oak panelling in the hall, with its frieze of 'hippocamps' or sea horses. The marble relief above, representing the life of Christ, came from the altar of Tixall Priory. The castle to the south-west ...

Stafford Lodges, Sandon Hall,

Stafford Lodges and the gate to Sandon Hall. The original moated Sandon Old Hall was acquired by the Erdeswick family in 1338, but was sold to Lord Harrowby in 1776. The original building no longer ...

Stafford Street, Hanley

This was the view up Stafford Street from the corner of Piccadilly. In the centre in the distance is the "new" Lewis's Department Store, under construction in 1963, on Lamb Street. This shop replaced ...