Theme Explorer

Start Again > Sport, Arts & Leisure > Cinemas & Theatres
Page 3 of 10 165 Records Found

Egyptian Priest marionette, by Waldo Lanchester

Marionette figure from the production of "The Sacred Cat". He wears a tall brown hat, has a long grey beard and wears a long brown robe with hyroglyphic type symbols down front. Made by Waldo Lanchester. ...

Electric Palace and Skating Rink, Anglesey Street, Hednesford

Built in 1910 as a roller-skating rink, it was said to have a maple floor the equal of any in the Midlands. It was refurbished in 1912 and the name changed to the Electric Palace, showing films and holding ...

Empire Cinema, Commerce Street, Longton

The Theatre Stage Door on the corner of Commerce Street and Chancery Lane, Longton. Built as the Queen's Theatre in 1896 after a fire had destroyed the previous building, the Empire was a theatre until ...

Empress Theatre, Penkridge Bank, Cannock Chase

The Empress Theatre and Cinema was sited on Penkridge Bank. It was built to cater for the soldiers stationed at Rugeley Camp and Brocton Camp. The manager was Mr. Cook.

Essoldo Cinema, Burslem

The art deco Essoldo Cinema was on the corner of Bournes Bank and Cleveland Street in Burslem. Originally opened in 1911 as the Burslem Picture Palace it was rebuilt in 1936 after the roof collapsed. ...

Essoldo Picture House, Cleveland Street, Burslem.

On the corner of Cleveland Street and Bournes Bank, The Essoldo was the first cinema in Burslem (opened in 1911) and started life as the Burslem Picture Palace. It was rebuilt as The New Palace in 1936, ...

Etruria Road, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Photograph of the New Victoria Theatre during construction.

Float promoting the Odeon Cinema, Stafford

Lorry float decorated to promote films of the week showing at the Odeon Cinema in Stafford. The man standing on the back of the float is Dennis Holland, a member of the Odeon Cinema staff, went out into ...

Floods on the Newport Road, Stafford

Looking along Newport Road towards the junction with Lichfield Road and Bridge Street. On the right is the King Edward VI Grammar School. A long period of rainy weather resulted in the River Sow rising ...

Friars Road, Stafford,

The shop on the left was Hardwicks' unisex hairdressers. Behind Hardwicks' is the Odeon Cinema, which was opened by the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury in 1936. The opening gala was concluded with ...

Frobisher Hall Victory celebrations, Swynnerton

Cast and audience at a concert in the Social Centre at Frobisher Hall, Swynnerton. The occasion could be part of victory celebrations in 1945. Nellie Kizis is in the left foreground of the shot standing ...

George Street, Tamworth

On the right can be seen the façade of the Grand Theatre Cinema owned by the Dent family. The end of the Chatterton Bros. shop can be seen on the extreme right of this photograph. A 'Humber' Tourer ...

Grand Cinema, George Street, Tamworth

The Grand Cinema with boy commissioner, Gordon Truman, standing outside. The Grand Cinema was built in 1914-15 by Charles H. Dent. The facade was decorated with Gibbs and Canning terracotta and crowned ...

Grand Musical Tory Concert - Election caricatures from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

This notice sends up an imaginary concert staged by an 'aristocratic' political party of 1812, caricatured here as the 'Tory Humbug.' At this time, Members of Parliament had to own property worth at ...

Grand re-opening of the Theatre Royal, Hanley

Hanley's Theatre Royal had a long and colourful history until its closure in 2000. In 1840 a disused Methodist Chapel on Brunswick Street was converted into a lecture hall by Thomas Hinde, and renamed ...

Hartshill Institute, Hartshill Road, Stoke

This plan is of the Hartshill Institute. An article in The Staffordshire Sentinel and Midlands Counties Advertiser of Saturday, January 15, 1859 reports on the official opening of the building. Its ...

Henry IV Pt 2

Lithograph print by Brian Robb (born 1913). Sir John Falstaff and Mr Justice Shallow recruiting in Glocestershire. One of a number of prints commissioned by the Royal Shakespeare Company at Stratford-upon-Avon ...

High Street, Stone

A postcard published by Valentine & Sons, postmarked 1 November 1961. A view looking north on the High Street. On the right hand side are the Town Hall and Cinema, the Red Lion public house (with ...