Theme Explorer

Start Again > Buildings, Architecture, Monuments > Law & Order Buildings

Refine By Selecting a Sub Theme

Courts(34)Prisons & Reformatories(65)
Page 3 of 9 158 Records Found

Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The gate-house stood on Gaol Road and contained the reception ward and a room for the warders. The roof of the gate-house was used as the place of execution until 1817, when new gallows were built on ...

Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The gate-house stood on Gaol Road and contained the reception ward and a room for the warders. The roof of the gate-house was used as the place of execution until 1817, when new gallows were built on ...

George V's Coronation Celebrations, Stafford

Photograph taken on Market Square. The building is the Shire Hall. The letters on the building read 'Our Noble King'.

Gnosall Lock-up,

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...

Gnosall Village and Lock-up,

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...

Governor of Stafford Gaol,

Major William Fulford R.A. was appointed governor of Stafford Gaol on 15 October 1849. He served at the prison until his death in 1886, making him the longest serving governor. The governor at this ...

Governor's House and Gardens, Stafford Gaol,

Major William Fulford and his family in the gardens of their living quarters. Major Fulford was governor of Stafford Gaol from 1849 until his death in 1886.

Guildhall, Stafford,

The Guildhall on Market Square was designed by Charles Trubshaw and built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. The entrance to the market ...

Horticultural Show, Shire Hall, Stafford

Displays at a horticultural show held in the Great Hall at the Shire Hall, Market Square, Stafford. Featured is James A. Heap's display of chrysanthemums. He was tenant at Shugborough Walled Garden ...

Insolvent Debtors' Yard, Stafford Gaol,

Imprisonment for debt was abolished in 1870. Debtors were allowed privileges such as being allowed to read or talk and were segregated from the other prisoners.

Keeper's Court, Stafford Gaol,

Keepers court was situated in the centre of the prison buildings.

Lichfield - Guildhall: pen and ink drawing

'Guildhall, Lichfield,' [on Bore Street] showing a building of classical design with a pedimental frontage and urns. The arches below are open and not filled in as windows. [Copied from a woodcut engraving ...

Lichfield - Guildhall: sepia drawing

'The Guildhall at Lichfield,' [on Bore Street.] Showing a building of classical design with pedimental frontage and urns (also old houses near.) [ It was rebuilt in 1847.]'J. Buckler.'

Lichfield - Guildhall: sepia drawing

'The Town hall at Lichfield, now building May 29, 1847,' [on Bore Street.] Built in a Norman style.'J. Buckler.'

Magistrates' Court, Horninglow Street, Burton-upon-Trent

Horninglow Street Magistrates' Courts, old and new, with the new Police Station on the right. The Court was built in 1907 and designed by Henry Beck, architect of Burton-upon-Trent. This Image is ...

Map of the Barlaston Hall Estate,

Map of the Barlaston Hall Estate, showing the future housing sites and the site of the first village for key factory personnel. Josiah Wedgwood (1730 - 1795) began his apprenticeship as a potter in ...

Market Square and Shire Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place for the County Court and later for other civic meetings. The present building, designed by John Harvey and erected ...

Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law stating that all buying and selling had to take place in a market town. On the right can be seen the Shire Hall, built ...