Theme Explorer

Page 3 of 18 317 Records Found

Alton Castle: sepia drawing

'Remains of the Ancient Castle at Alton, Staffordshire.' ?North east view showing the remains of the ancient castle, partially covered in foliage. Artist: J. C. Buckler.

Alton Castle: water colour painting

'Alton Castle,' showing the castle on the cliff and a church to the right. Anonymous, [S. Shaw].

Alton from the Hills

View of the village showing residential housing, Alton Castle to the left, and St. Peter's Church to the right of the centre.

Alton Railway Station

Alton station stood on the Churnet Valley line of the North Staffordshire Railway. It was built in an Italianate villa style in about 1849. The station was used by the Earl of Shrewsbury, and had a ...

Alton Village

The village dates from Saxon times and was originally known as 'Alverton'. There has long been a diverse religious tradition in Alton, with four non-conformist chapels existing at one time in addition ...

An engraving of Tamworth Castle

An engraving of a painting of Tamworth Castle by G. Samuel. The Georgian refaced South wing, Castle Mills, and Parish Church are also visible. Lady Bridge can be seen on the extreme left of the engraving. ...

Bird's Eye View of Stafford from Tipping Street

View across Stafford towards the castle, from the top of the Education offices (formerly the Taxation Office) on Tipping Street. In the foreground is St. Chad's Church; to the right of the church tower ...

Bird's Eye View of Stafford from Tipping Street

View across Stafford towards the castle, from the top of the Tax Office on Tipping Street. In the centre can be seen the tower of St. Mary's Church; to the right of St. Mary's the Broad Eye windmill ...

Bridge over Moat, Eccleshall Castle,

The castle was used as the residence of the Bishops of Lichfield. The first reference to this building was in 1200, when Bishop Geoffrey Muschamp obtained a royal licence to embattle a manor house in ...

Bridge, Eccleshall Castle

The medieval bridge spanning the moat at Eccleshall Castle. The castle was used as the residence of the Bishops of Lichfield. The first reference to this building was in 1200, when Bishop Geoffrey ...

Burton Manor Moat, Stafford,

Burton Manor in Rising Brook was built in 1855 by Francis Whitgreave. Stonework found during excavations from Grey Friars on Foregate Street was incorporated into the house, including the stone cross ...

Buttery and Great Hall, Dudley Castle

The Buttery and the Great Hall in the Inner Bailey of Dudley Castle. The first Dudley Castle was built around 1100 but was completely rebuilt by Roger de Somery from about 1261-62. Ownership later ...

Castle Church - Castle Hill: water colour painting

'Stafford Castle.' Showing castle hill from a distance, surmounted by a white tower. Anonymous.

Castle Church - Stafford Castle: engraving

'Ground plan of Stafford Castle.' Scale 0.5 inches to 10 feet. There is a large room in the middle, two smaller rooms at each end, with four octagonal rooms at each corner.Anonymous.

Castle Church - Stafford Castle: engraving

'Stafford Castle.' South east view showing the twin towers as rebuilt in 1815. 'F. Calvert, del., [drawn]; T. Radclyffe, sc., [engraved]; Published by W. Emans, Bromsgrove Street, Birmingham.'

Castle Church - Stafford Castle: pen and wash drawing

'Plan of Stafford Castle,' showing the layout of the new castle, (the central tower is omitted.) There is no scale. Anonymous, [?J. Buckler].

Castle Church - Stafford Castle: pencil and wash

'Ground Plan of that portion of the present Castle at Stafford as designed and built under the direction of the late Edward Jerningham Esq.' Showing two towers, less than half of the whole scheme, facing ...

Castle Church - Stafford Castle: pencil drawing

Distant view of the Castle across fields. There are trees and a group of workmen in the foreground. Artist: 'Capt. John Phillips, del.,' [drawn; on grey paper.]