Theme Explorer

Start Again > Religion & Beliefs > Monuments & Memorials
Page 3 of 19 325 Records Found

Brass plate in Biddulph Church - William Bowyer of Knipersley : pen and wash drawing

Situated at the east end of the chancel. Brass plate showing ten sons and seven daughters kneeling before a desk. With inscription. Anon. [J. R. Fernyhough.]

Brereton War Memorial

View of Brereton War Memorial, located by the main road into Rugeley. The memorial takes the form of a rough stone cross with truncated arms, upon which is carved a downward-pointing sword. Names of the ...

Burton-upon-Trent - Gravestone in 'Old' Churchyard: sepia drawing

The remains of a grave-stone in the old churchyard, showing the top part of the stem of a floriated cross. Artist: 'J. B.,' [John Buckler]

Burton-upon-Trent - Stone coffin in Old Churchyard: sepia drawing

Remains of a stone coffin in the old church-yard. Shows the place for the head and shoulders only. Used as a seat under a tree by the river. Artist: 'J. B.,' [John Buckler].

Calvary, Hawkesyard Priory, Armitage

This photograph shows steps leading up from the grotto to the area around the Friars' cemetery. Note the beehive in the foreground. The three crosses of the Calvary are at the top of the steps. Photographer: ...

Cannock Chase War Cemetery (Commonwealth War Cemetery)

This photograph was taken looking east across the Stafford to Hednesford road to the main entrance gates of the cemetery. This cemetery contains the graves of 24 British and 73 New Zealand dead from ...

Canterbury Cathedral - Archbishop Langton's tomb chest: copper-plate engraving

Showing Archbishop Stephen Langton's tomb chest, Canterbury Cathedral partially hidden in a recess. Inscribed 'To the Right Reverend Father in GOD D. Edward Chandler, Lord Bishop of Litchfield (sic) ...

Chancel Screen, Holy Trinity Church, Eccleshall,

Screen in the north chancel prior to the 1930s alterations. The Bosville Chapel, now called the Lady Chapel, is behind. Holy Trinity Church dates from the twelfth century. The chancel was replaced ...

Church of the Holy Angels, Hoar Cross

Interior of Hoar Cross Church. These two carved white marble effigies are Hugo Francis Meynell Ingram (d. 1871) and his wife Emily Meynell Ingram (d. 1904), who commissioned the church in memory of her ...

Church street and High Street, Eccleshall,

Churchyard Cross, Adbaston

This cross stands in the churchyard of St. Michael's Church, Adbaston. The stepped stone base dates from the 15th century. The cross shaft and head are 20th century. A postcard view published by E.J. ...

Clifton Campville Church - Vernon Monument: engraving

Tomb of Sir John Vernon and his wife, dated 1545. The effigies are on the top and a coat of arms with supporters and weepers is on the side.Inscribed 'To the Revd. John Watkins, this View of Clifton ...

Clifton Campville Church - Vernon Monument: pencil drawing

North view of the Vernon Monument, [to Sir John Vernon and his wife.] Showing two carved figures on top of the monument. The side is decorated with two figures, one holding a coat of arms. (See SV III.124b ...

Clifton Campville Church - Vernon Monument: sepia drawing

'Monument of the Vernon's in Clifton Campville Church, Staffordshire.' South west view showing the monument which stood at the east end of the south aisle. Also showing the wooden screen, between two ...

Colwich - Mural Monument to George Sprat: engraving

Mural Monument to George Spratt, second son of Dean Thomas Sprat and of Helen [Wolseley]. Born 8 Id. October 1682; died Cal. October 1683. The tablet is in the form of a scroll surmounted by three cupids, ...

Colwich - Tomb of Robert Wolseley: sepia drawing

'Colledge, [Colwich]. On the North side of ye Church of Alablaster,' showing the tomb of Robert Wolseley. With inscription. Artist: J. R. Fernyhough.

Commemorative Plaque, Butterton

Modern plaque commemorating Butterton's status as the only 'Doubly Thankful' village in Staffordshire. Such villages saw all those serving from the locality return home safely from both World Wars.

Commemorative window, St. Luke’s Church, Cannock

This commemorative window, 'the Last Communion on the Battlefield', was given by Charles Loxton in memory of his son Charles Edward Holden Loxton, known as Edward. He was a 2nd Lieutenant in the North ...