Theme Explorer

Page 28 of 29 513 Records Found

Uttoxeter Canal remains, Denstone

The remains of the Uttoxeter canal near to Denstone. The Uttoxeter Canal was a thirteen-mile extension of the Caldon Canal running from Froghall as far as Uttoxeter in Staffordshire. It was authorised ...

Uttoxeter Canal, near Stramshall

A frosty view of the defunct Uttoxeter Canal just south of Stramshall. The Uttoxeter Canal was a thirteen-mile extension of the Caldon Canal running from Froghall as far as Uttoxeter. It was authorised ...

View of Cheddleton

The village as seen from the hillside above the junction of Station Road and Leek Road. In the foreground is the Caldon Canal, with the Parish Church in the upper right corner.

Visit to Telford Canal tunnel, Kidsgrove

This photograph was taken after a local party had travelled through the Telford Canal Tunnel, one of the Harecastle Tunnels, during the Festival of Britain. John Evans submitted this information about ...

Wall Grange Station, near Cheddleton

Wall Grange Station was opened in 1873. The line was originally constructed as single track throughout from Milton Junction (where the line diverged from the Biddulph Valley line) to Leek Brook Junction. ...

Wall Grange Station, near Cheddleton

Wall Grange Station was opened in 1873. The line was originally constructed as single track throughout from Milton Junction (where the line diverged from the Biddulph Valley line) to Leek Brook Junction. ...

Wall Grange Station, near Cheddleton

Wall Grange Station was opened in 1873. The line was originally constructed as single track throughout from Milton Junction (where the line diverged from the Biddulph Valley line) to Leek Brook Junction. ...

Walton Bridge, Stone,

Walton Bridge carrying Stafford Road over the River Trent. Although much altered, remnants of the medieval stone pack horse bridge can still be seen. The postcard publisher has mistakenly identified ...

Water Main and Canal Bridge, Tixall,

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.

Wedgwood factory, Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph of Wedgwood's original factory next to the Trent and Mersey canal in Etruria, Stoke-on-Trent was taken in 1929. The factory was a site of real innovation and invention but was disused ...

Wedgwood's Etruria Factory, Stoke-on-Trent

Josiah Wedgwood's Etruria Works opened in 1769. Importantly, the factory was built on land that Wedgwood knew lay on the route of the proposed Trent & Mersey Canal which was opened in 1777. The factory ...

Wednesfield Church and Bridge: sepia drawing

'Wednesfield Church.' North west view showing the church on the right side of the canal. It is brick and stone [built 1760] showing the west tower and part of the north aisle. There is a bridge over ...

Weston village, near Stafford

A postcard view taken from in front of the Saracen's Head Inn on Stafford Road, looking towards Boat Lane and the canal bridge. The Inn sign is to the left, and the church spire can be seen beyond. Published ...

Wharf Street Depot, Stoke on Trent

The Anderton Canal Carrying Company's Wharf Street depot and their butty narrowboat 'Winifred' moored by the towpath between Bridges 112 and 113 on the Trent and Mersey Canal. Across the canal there is ...

Wharf Street Depot, Stoke on Trent

The Anderton Canal Carrying Company's Wharf Street depot between Bridges 112 and 113 on the Trent and Mersey Canal. On the right is Dolby's potters and millers warehouses and bottle-kiln. The Dolby Pottery ...

What now for the Grand Commercial Canal? A document from the Enoch Wood scrapbook

During 1796, supporters of a scheme to build a new super canal in Staffordshire locked horns with the established businessmen of the Trent and Mersey Canal Company. The new canal The new canal was ...

Wheaton Aston Lock

Wheaton Aston Lock stands on the Shropshire Union Canal, which was engineered by Thomas Telford and opened in March 1835.

Wilkinson's Royal Staffordshire Pottery, Middleport

A J Wilkinson's Royal Staffordshire Pottery alongside the Trent & Mersey Canal in Middleport. The works originated as the Mersey Pottery, operated by Anthony Shaw from around 1860, becoming the property ...