Theme Explorer

Start Again > Agriculture & Countryside > Follies & Monuments
Page 2 of 4 56 Records Found

Lanthorn of Demosthenes, Shugborough Park

Also known as the Dark Lantern, the Lanthorn was the last Neo-classical monument to be designed by James 'Athenian' Stuart for Shugborough. It was completed in 1771. The original, the Choragic Monument ...

Lawns and Ruin, Shugborough

A view of the lawns and yews at the back of Shugborough Hall. In the background is the Ruin, almost completely overgrown with ivy. This photograph was taken by Charles Goldsmith, Head Gardener at ...

Lord Audley's Cross, Blore Heath

Stone cross in memory of Lord Audley the Lancastrian leader, killed at the Battle of Blore Heath, 1459. It was repaired in 1765 by the Lord of the Manor, Charles Boothby Skrymsher.

Meaford Hall, Stone

Photographic postcard. A hall has stood on this site since the seventeenth century. Towards the end of the century a William Jervis of Chatcull bought the estate, and in 1740 soldiers of the Duke of ...

Memorial Tablet, Hawksmoor, near Cheadle. Photographed by William Blake.

The John Richard Beech Masefield Memorial Stone from the gateway of Hawksmoor Nature Reserve, Nr. Cheadle, Staffordshire. Blake was a fellow member of the North Staffs Field Club and held the position ...

Monument to a Horse, Knightley,

Monument to the Duke of Sutherland, Trentham Park

The monument was erected in 1836 in honour of the 1st Duke of Sutherland, George Granville Leveson-Gower, at Trentham Gardens. The monument was designed by Charles Winks and the figure was sculpted under ...

Monument to the Duke of Sutherland, Trentham Park

The monument was erected in 1836 in honour of the 1st Duke of Sutherland, George Granville Leveson-Gower, at Trentham Gardens. The monument was designed by Charles Winks and the figure was sculpted under ...

Monument, Tixall,

The Tixall monument bears the date 1776. Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.

Mow Cop Castle,

The 'Castle' is in fact a folly, built in 1754 as an eyecatcher for Rode Hall. It is a familiar landmark in North Staffordshire. Mow Cop straddles the border between Staffordshire and Cheshire.

Mow Cop folly

This folly, made up of a circular turret with adjoining arched wall stands on the summit of the hill Mow Cop, approximately 1100 feet above sea level. 111. It measures 32 feet high by 20 feet in diameter ...

Mow Cop from Moss House Farm near Hall Green

Oil painting by John Munday. Expanse of water with white ducks at front, trees and fields at back with hill and Mow Cop folly in the distance.

Old Pound, Blount's Green, Uttoxeter

View of the Old Pound at Bount's Green, Uttoxeter at the junction between the A518 Stafford Road and the B5013 road to Rugeley. Probably late 18th century, it consists of a series of vertical oblong stones ...

Old Stafford Society visit to the Devil's Ring and Finger, Mucklestone

The Old Stafford Society was a local history group, founded in 1925. They organised many visits to places of historical interest. Members of the Society are gathered by these two ancient standing stones, ...

Old Stafford Society visit to the Devil's Ring and Finger, Mucklestone

The Old Stafford Society was a local history group, founded in 1925. They organised many visits to places of historical interest. Philip Dale poses for the photographer by these two ancient standing ...

Pagoda and Fountain, Alton Towers

Designed by Robert Abraham, the Pagoda is a 44 foot high fountain which is a copy of the To-ho Pagoda in Canton. It was begun in 1826 and was originally intended to build six storeys. When it was finally ...

Salt Memorial, Slindon

The Salt Memorial was erected by John Charles Salt in 1884. John Salt, a member of the well-known Stafford banking family, also funded the construction of St. Chad's Church, Slindon, in 1894. Photograph ...

Salt Memorial, Slindon

The Salt Memorial was erected by John Charles Salt in 1884. John Salt, a member of the well-known Stafford banking family, also funded the construction of St. Chad's Church, Slindon, in 1894.