Theme Explorer

Start Again > Parks & Gardens > Monuments, Follies & Statues
Page 2 of 12 208 Records Found

Cannon in Stubbs Walk, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Children are here seen playing on the historic Crimean War cannon which was presented to the Borough of Newcastle by Samuel Christy MP. The cannon was moved from its pictured location opposite the Orme ...

Cat's Monument, Shugborough Park,

The Cat's Monument, c.1750, is situated on the island. It was probably designed by Thomas Wright of Durham (1711-1786), who also worked on the Ruin. There are two theories behind the purpose of the ...

Chapel, Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Cheshire Cottage and Egyptian Court, Biddulph Grange Gardens

This is a plan of the Egyptian Court and Cheshire Cottage at Biddulph Grange Gardens. These buildings were created as an integral part of the gardens by James Bateman who set up the gardens in the mid ...

Children's Cottage, Trentham Gardens

Children's Cottage,originally designed by Charles Barry in the 1840s. It was altered by the Duke of Sutherland's architect, Thomas Roberts, in the 1890s. The building was used by the Duke's children, ...

Children's Cottage, Trentham Gardens

Sadly the former Children's Cottage was vandalised in the 1990s and stood sad and forlorn before being rescued. It now stands at the rear of the present Garden Centre at Trentham. The Children's Cottage, ...

Children's Cottage, Trentham Gardens

Sadly the former Children's Cottage was vandalised in the 1990s and stood sad and forlorn before being rescued. It now stands at the rear of the present Garden Centre at Trentham. Children's Cottage, ...

Chinese summer house, Alton Towers

This Chinese Summer House and fountain are believed to have been sited in the gardens at Alton Towers. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about ...

Chinese House and Boat House, Shugborough Park,

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Chinese House, Shugborough Park

The design for the Chinese House was taken from sketches made by Sir Percy Brett, who accompanied Admiral Anson during his voyage of circumnavigation. The journey included a stay of some months in China. The ...

Choragic Monument, Alton Towers

The Memorial to the 15th Earl of Shrewsbury was erected in about 1830 by his nephew John, the 16th Earl. It is a copy of the Choragic Monument or Monument to Lysacrates in Athens (compare with the Lanthorn ...

Church street and High Street, Eccleshall,

Clearing the River Mease, Clifton Campville

A group of men clearing the River Mease at the Squire's Retreat at the bottom of Primrose Bank, Clifton Campville. In this group are John Carter and his father Thomas Carter.

Clock Tower, Longton Park. Photographed by William Blake.

View of the Clock Tower at Longton Park, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. The park's official name is Queen's Park and it was officially opened on July 25th 1888 by George Granville William Sutherland ...

Consall Hall and Gardens

Consall Hall dates from around 1810 and was remodelled in the 1880s. In 1918 it was acquired by William Podmore Snr and his wife Alberta. William Snr owned a firm in the Staffordshire Potteries manufacturing ...

Doric Temple , Enville Hall

The Enville Hall estate was landscaped between 1745 and 1755 by the 4th Earl of Stamford, using the services of the poet and landscape designer William Shenstone of Halesowen, and Sanderson Miller, a ...

Doric Temple, Shugborough Park,

Built c.1760 this is one of two copies of the Temple of Hephaistos in Athens by James 'Athenian' Stuart. The first version was commissioned by Hagley Hall In Worcestershire in 1758, and is believed to ...