Theme Explorer

Start Again > Staffordshire Places
Page 2 of 9 149 Records Found

Bobbington

The remote, rural village of Bobbington is situated in the south-west north corner of Staffordshire on the border with Shropshire. The village remained relatively small until there was some development ...

Borough Hall, Stafford

The Borough Hall was designed in 1876 by local architect Henry Ward who also designed Stafford Grammar School. The postcard was published by Boots the Chemist, one of its "Pelham" series of postcards, ...

Borough Hall, Stafford

The Borough Hall was designed in 1876 by local architect Henry Ward who also designed Stafford Grammar School. We are unable to identify the publisher of this card which was printed in Germany. The design ...

Brereton

Brereton is situated just over one mile to the south east of Rugeley, close to Cannock Chase. The original village grew out of the development of the mining industry but it is now a very built-up area ...

Bridge Street, Stafford

Bridge Street, showing the Picture House cinema which opened on 23rd February, 1914. Postcard published by William Shaw of Burslem

Bridge Street, Stafford

Bridge Street, showing the Picture House cinema which opened in 1914, and on the right the tower of the Royal Brine Baths. This card was first published by Valentine in 1934 but the message on the ...

Brocton village

Looking up Chase Road from Brocton Green with Pinfold Cottage on the left and Green Farm on the right. Printed by W.H. Smith & Son, Greengate Street, Stafford. Posted in 1920.

Brookfield's, Stafford

Brookfields shop was on the corner of Market Square and Greengate Street. It was run by brothers Arthur and Stuart Brookfield. In 1909 Stuart died when he fell from his horse at the top of Baswich Lane. ...

Bucknall

Bucknall is situated about a mile and a half east of Hanley. Eaves was once an adjoining hamlet to the north-east. The area, fomerly predominantly rural with scattered early coalworkings, is now a largely ...

Burntwood

Burntwood is situated to the west of Lichfield and comprises Burntwood itself, Woodhouses and Ediall, all early settlements, and also Chasetown and Chase Terrace, which developed in the 19th century. ...

Burslem

Burslem is situated in the north-west of the City of Stoke-on-Trent, one of the six towns which form the City. Early forms of Burslem’s name show that it it derives from Burgweard’s Lyme – where Burgweard ...

Burton

Burton-upon-Trent is Staffordshire’s famous brewing town, situated in the east of the County on the border with Derbyshire and on the River Trent. The town has a long history from Anglo-Saxon times. A ...

Calmer times on Clayton Road, Clayton, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Clayton Road, in the days when it was little more than a dirt track. In the centre of the image is Rose Cottage, the home of the local police constable, with Clayton Green to the right of the image.

Cannock

The town of Cannock is situated on the west of Cannock Chase, approximately 9 miles from Stafford, Wolverhampton and Walsall. The place name, Cannock, was originally thought to have been of Celtic origin, ...

Caverswall

Caverswall is a distinctive village, situated just outside the Potteries to the east. It is well known for the splendid Caverswall Castle. The name Caverswall is derived from an Old English personal ...

Chapel Chorlton

The elevated village of Chapel Chorlton is situated north-west of Stone. The area was once famous for fine quality, white stone quarries and stone from one of the local quarries was used in alterations ...

Checkley

CHECKLEY is situated five miles north west of Uttoxeter on the east side of the River Tean. The name appears to be of Anglo-Saxon origin and to mean ‘Cecce’s lea’ or ‘Cecca’s clearing’. At the time of ...

Chell

Chell is situated in the northern district of the Potteries. It is in the eastern part of the district of Tunstall, just over a mile from Tunstall and Burslem. Great Chell and Little Chell were originally ...