Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 3 49 Records Found

Chainmaking workshops, Cradley Heath

A row of single-storey chainmaking workshops at Purser's Square, also known as Anvil Yard, Cradley Heath. Cradley was well-known for producing hand-made iron chain. The workshops were very small, often ...

Chainmaking, Cradley Heath

A woman chainmaker working in a Cradley Heath workshop, probably at Purser's Square, also known as Anvil Yard, Cradley Heath. Note the small child sitting in the corner of the room. Cradley was well-known ...

Chapel and Smithy, Alstonefield

The smithy and Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Alstonefield. The blacksmith at the time of this photograph was Joseph Hambleton. The chapel was built in 1879-1880 and replaced an earlier chapel dating ...

Church Farmyard, Alstonefield

A view of Alstonefield during the exceptionally harsh winter of 1947. The village was all but cut off from the outside world for 8 weeks in February and March.

Church Street, Alstonefield

Huge snow drifts on Church Street, Alstonefield during the exceptionally harsh winter of 1947. The village was all but cut off from the outside world for 8 weeks in February and March.

Clay Pool and The Mount, Alstonefield

The Mount was for a time the village Post Office. It was later converted into two houses, for the District Nurse and the Policeman. Clay Pool was filled in in the 1970s.

Cutting oats, the Allotment Gardens, Alstonefield

From left to right: Ernest Adams, Jim Bailey and Herbert Wood, holding a scythe. Mr Wood grew oats on the Allotment Gardens, a plot of land of about a third of an acre which was formerly 4 allotments. ...

Donkeys at Dovedale

Dovedale has long been an attraction for tourists and day trippers. Seen here are three donkeys available for rides near the waterfall at the entrance to Dovedale.

Former Smithy, Trentham

Built to designs by Charles Barry in 1840, the Smithy at Park Drive, Trentham features a horseshoe shaped doorway. The smithy formed part of the Building and Maintenance Department of the Trentham Estate. ...

Frank 'Butcher' Riley at Hope Marsh, Alstonefield

Frank Riley was born at Hope House in 1892. he served his apprenticeship with Ashbourne butcher Sam Parkin. He set up business at Hope Marsh as the village butcher before the First World war. His business ...

Girl Guides on Sunny Bank, Alstonefield

Alstonefield Girl Guides had their headquarters at the Reading Room. prior to that they were based at the Old Cheese Factory in Hope Dale. Back row: Eileen Bonsall, Margaret Adams, Marjorie Bonsall, ...

Haynes and Sons workmen, Stone

Workers from Haynes and Sons, wheelwrights, taken on the wedding day of Bert Haynes. From left to right: William Haynes, Harry Haynes, Ron Fowler, William Stubbs, Tom Johnson, Sam Cooper, Bert Haynes. ...

House and smithy, Woodseaves area

A large group of people and horses with a house and smithy in the background. If you recognise the location or the people in this photograph, please let us know. Photographer: Harry Osbourne of Woodseaves....

Joe Hambleton, Blacksmith, Alstonefield

Joseph Hambleton, Alstonefield village blacksmith, shoeing a horse at the smithy which stood next to the Methodist chapel.

Post Office and Smithy, Clifton Campville

The Old Post Office stands at 117 Main Street. Built in the early 18th century, it is now a private residence. Beyond it can be seen the smithy.

Sandon Smithy

A postcard view published by William Shaw of Burslem. Note the ploughs, wheels and iron tyres outside the smithy. The blacksmith at the time this photograph was taken was Thomas Cheadle. The smithy ...

The Central Smithy, Sheep Fair, Rugeley

Earlier in the 20th century the blacksmith at the Central Smithy was Cyril Leonard Taylor, who passed away in the early 1960s.

The Old Blacksmiths, Uttoxteter Road, Longton

A former smithy on Uttoxeter Road, Longton.