Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 51 904 Records Found

Aerial View of Stafford,

View looking north over Sandon Road. Corporation Street schools are at the bottom of the photograph, Coton Fields allotments are to the right, and the Lotus Shoe Factory is in the centre. At the top ...

Aerial view of Stoke on Trent

An aerial view of part of Stoke on Trent. The railway can be seen running across the middle of the photograph, with the station to the left. The Trent and Mersey Canal is in front of the railway line. ...

Aerial view of the Blythe Colour Works, Cresswell

The Blythe Colour Works pictured at its height. At the time of this photograph it employed over 400 people. The works produced colourations for the pottery and glass industries. The manufacture of ...

Aerial view of Tutbury Plaster Mill

The old cotton mill at Tutbury was adapted in 1890 to crush and grind locally mined gypsum to make plaster. It had a direct rail link to the North Staffordshire Railway branch line between Uttoxeter and ...

Aerial View of Universal Grinding Wheel Factory, Stafford,

The Universal Wheel Grinding Co. factory on Doxey Road, established in 1913. By the 1970s the company was the largest manufactory of emery wheels and grindstones in Europe. Copyright and ownership ...

Aitken Street, Dalehall, Middleport

Aitken Street is a short street off Ellgreave Street in the Dalehall area of Middleport. There are two ceramics related factories in the photograph: Repton Tiles and Ellgreave Pottery (on the right). Repton ...

Albert Street Pottery, Hobson Street, Burslem.

The camera is looking northwards along Hobson Street in Burslem. The works on the right (Albert Potteries) is now part of the Dudson Group, manufacturing Armorlite tableware. Hobson Street was originally ...

Albion Street and Normacot Road, Longton

Albion Street was renamed Morpeth Street in the 1950s.

Albion Street Mill, Leek

Built c1829, the mills along Albion Street are three storey buildings with sixteen bays. Prior to the construction of the mills, workers' cottages were built in both Albion and King Street to accommodate ...

Alexandra Mill, Wardle Street, Tunstall

The Alexandra Mill was a flint and stone mill linked to Johnson Brothers (Hanley) Alexandra Pottery. This is the entrance at the bottom of Wardle Street formerly Meadow Street. Behind the mill were sidings ...

Alfred Meakins pottery factory, Hollywall Lane, Goldenhill, Stoke-on-Trent

Alfred Meakins opened their factory off Hollywall Lane in 1957. The site was originally part of the Williamson estate which was sold off in the 1950s of which Meakins purchased 150 acres. Robert Williamson ...

Alfred Meakin's Royal Albert Pottery, Tunstall

Alfred Meakin's Victoria Pottery on the right looking up Bank Street. Meakin's took over an existing pottery in 1873 and expanded the factory in 1885. The site is now housing

Alley off Hope Street, Hanley

This is an alley running off Hope Street in Hanley leading to the New Hall Pottery works. This alleyway is marked on the 1880 O.S. map. and the surrounding housing and works buildings are earlier. The ...

Alleyway leading to Market Street, Longton

The Heathcote Hotel is visible at the far end of the alley.

Alma Works Demolition, Longton

Pottery factory in the process of being demolished. Taken at the Alma Works, Uttoxeter Road, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Taken from the Gladstone Pottery Museum Photographic Collection. This photograph ...

Alstom, Lichfield Road, Stafford

Pupils from Silkmore Primary School, Stafford are pictured in front of a Goliath tractor at the Queensville area of the Lichfield Road site in Stafford. During the visit to the site they toured the Power ...

Alstom, Lichfield Road, Stafford

Pictured in the Queensville area of the Lichfield Road site in Stafford is one of a pair of Faun Goliath tractors. These huge tractors were used along with girder beam trailers to move large and heavy ...

Alton Mill

A watermill on this site is recorded in mid 16th century documents. Thomas Patten & Co. began manufacturing brass wire and pins here in 1734. From 1828 it operated as either a flint, colour or paper ...