Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 5 86 Records Found

Aqualate Hall on Fire

The original Aqualate Hall was built for Edwin Skrymsher in the early seventeenth century. Sir John Boughey bought the house in the late eighteenth century and commissioned John Nash to rebuild it in ...

Armoury Tower, Alton Towers

The Armoury Tower and main entrance to Alton Towers. On the right is the Chapel. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852. This tower ...

Banquet Hall, Alton Towers

A postcard view (looking north-east) of the Banquet Hall taken around 1927 when it was in use as a refreshment room. Over the years this room was also known as the Great Dining Room and the Dining Room. ...

Bird's Eye View of Stafford from Tipping Street

View across Stafford towards the castle, from the top of the Education offices (formerly the Taxation Office) on Tipping Street. In the foreground is St. Chad's Church; to the right of the church tower ...

Black Prince Window, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the Black Prince Window which was in the Long Gallery by Charles Muss, 1820s.

Bourne Cottage, Lodge to Clough Hall, Kidsgrove

Bourne Cottage was once the lodge to Clough Hall, a large mansion house that was demolished in around 1927. A set of large gates and a front gate house used to stand by the lodge, but have long since ...

Brook Street, Stoke upon Trent

No. 1, Brook Street, the Tudor Gothic style building on the corner of Brook Street and Glebe Street was built in 1867. It was originally a house and later became a National Provincial Bank branch. Today ...

Chapel Interior, Alton Towers

The Chapel was designed by Thomas Fradgley and Joseph Potter and completed by 1833, but the interior was remodelled or completed by A.W.N. Pugin after 1839. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot ...

Chapel, Alton Towers

This postcard view was taken looking from the south-east. On the left is the Armoury and the Picture Gallery, centre left the Conservatory which was built in about 1815 to 1819 to designs by Thomas Hopper ...

Church of the Holy Trinity, Hartshill Road, Hartshill

This plan is of the Church of the Holy Trinity in Hartshill Road, Stoke. It was dedicated in 1842 and is another example of gothic architecture (like St.Peter's Church in Stoke). The building is now Grade ...

Coach Service at Alton Towers

The 20th Earl of Shrewsbury in the driving seat of his 'Greyhound' coach, in front of Alton Towers, one of his family homes. During 1892 and 1893 the Earl ran a daily coach service between Alton Towers ...

Conservatory, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the House Conservatory which linked the Drawing Room with the Octagon. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852. ...

District Bank, Stafford,

The Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company opened a branch in Stafford in 1832, having taken over the Stafford Bank (which had been declared bankrupt in 1830). Its first premises, Bank House, ...

Drawbridge, Entrance, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the Drawbridge or East Entrance to Alton Towers. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852. The 15th Earl ...

Engraving of St. Mary's Church and Market Square, Lichfield

The present church of St. Mary's dates from the late 19th century, having replaced an earlier, medieval, church. During the Easter Sunday Service in 1716, part of the church spire fell down, and this ...

Gothic Temple, Alton Towers,

The correct description of the building is the Gothic Prospect Tower, although it has often been known as the Chinese Temple. The Tower stands on Thompson's Rock, it was designed by Robert Abraham and ...

Greengate Street, Stafford,

The Gothic building on the left was the District Bank, completed in 1907. Inside the banking hall was a hammer-beam roof and two elaborate marble fireplaces. The building was demolished in the 1970s ...

Hatherton Hall

Grade II listed Hatherton Hall was built in 1817 and was the seat of the Walhouse family. It was rebuilt by Moreton Walhouse, possibly in an emotional reaction to being passed over in his uncle, Sir ...