Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 7 126 Records Found

Christ Church and the Rev. E. Fennie, Hilderstone,

Photograph taken from a calendar. Every year the Rev. Fennie (Vicar of Hilderstone 1950 - 1959) sent members of his parish a calendar featuring a photograph of himself. He joked that if they did not ...

Church and School, Hilderstone

A postcard view of a quiet scene in Hilderstone. On the left is the school which was built as a National School for 180 pupils in 1819. Its construction was funded by Ralph Bourne of Hilderstone Hall. ...

Church Eaton Village,

View of the High Street. On the left is St. Editha's Church, built from local sandstone. The earliest part of the church is the tower, which dates from the twelfth century. The timber framed building ...

Church of the Resurrection, Dresden. Photographed by William Blake.

Church exterior with a view of the Church of the Resurrection at Red Bank, Dresden, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This is one of many street scenes in the Blake Collection. Most of them were taken ...

Conduit Street, Lichfield

This postcard view looks northwest along Conduit street to the Market Square. On the left is the Corn Exchange, also on the left is a glimpse of a covered stall in the Market Square, the spires of the ...

Demolition of Rugeley Town Hall and Market Hall

This photograph captures the demolition of Rugeley Town Hall and the Market Hall which were built on the site of the Shoulder of Mutton Inn. The Public Buildings also housed meeting rooms and, until ...

Dr Samuel Johnson’s Statue, Lichfield

A postcard view of the Statue of Dr Samuel Johnson in the Market Place, Lichfield. It is by R.C. Lucas and was erected in 1838. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), lexicographer, critic and poet, was born ...

Drawbridge, Entrance, Alton Towers

A postcard view of the Drawbridge or East Entrance to Alton Towers. Alton Towers was the home of the Talbot family, Earls of Shrewsbury. It was built between about 1810 and 1852. The 15th Earl ...

Etruria Gas Works, Stoke on Trent

Overview of Etruria Gas Works with Stoke-on-Trent beyond. The gas works opened in 1904. The large gas holder back left was dismantled in 1991.

Fulford Church. Photographed by William Blake.

View of St. Nicholas's Church, Fulford, Staffordshire.

Granville Terrace, Stone,

Granville Terrace was named after Earl Granville, Lord of the Manor of Stone. In the distance can be seen the spire of the Congregational Church, built in 1871 to a design by George Bidlake. On 7 ...

Greengate Street, Stafford

This view of Greengate Street in Stafford was taken from the first floor of the Swan Hotel, of which there is a part view on the right. The Pickford’s heavy haulage tractor unit is transporting a ...

Greenhill, Lichfield

This postcard view looks northeast along Greenhill from the junction with George Lane and Tamworth Street in Lichfield. Most of the buildings on the left remain (July 2020) although over the years several ...

Grove Junior School, Northwood, Hanley

This Victorian school, opened in 1891, is still in use [2013]. It is situated in off keelings Road, between Turner Street and Myatt Street, Northwood, Hanley. The tower is an ornate lantern style ...

Hamstall Hall, Hamstall Ridware

This postcard view shows Hamstall Hall which dates from the early 17th century. It was built not long after Sir Thomas Leigh bought the estate from the Fitzherbert family in 1601. Large scale rebuilding ...

Hanley Tabernacle, Town Road, Hanley

The Congregational Independent Tabernacle Church was founded in Hanley in 1784, a Mission Hall was built in 1879 and the church in the photograph built on Town Road (then known as High Street) in 1883. ...

Hawkesyard Priory and College, Rugeley

A postcard view of the Church and College at Hawkesyard Priory. The mansion on the right was formerly known as Armitage Park, a mid-18th century house, which was originally built by Nathaniel Lister and ...

Hay Making at Little Onn Hall, Church Eaton

A postcard view of hay making at Little Onn Hall. The Hall was built around 1870 to 1875, but has been altered and enlarged over the years. Little Onn Hall is close to an earlier medieval moated site ...