Theme Explorer

Start Again > Health & Welfare > Hospitals & Convalescent Homes
Page 2 of 16 280 Records Found

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

The caption For this photograph was "Farewell to Matron" and she is beaming as she is waved off by staff and patients along the main driveway in front of the wards. Above the windscreen can be seen one ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

These were the Officers Quarters belonging to the Royal Army Medical Corps stationed at Rugeley Hospital on Cannock Chase. Behind these buildings was the Officers' Mess and Ablutions. These huts were ...

Brindley Heath Hospital, Cannock Chase

This postcard view looks south from Rugeley Camp towards Brindley Heath Hospital which can be seen on the left amongst the trees. The Hospital was also known as Rugeley Hospital even though it served ...

Burntwood Asylum

Postcard view of the entrance front of Burntwood Asylum, later St. Matthew's Hospital, a name officially adopted in 1948. The hospital was built by the County of Stafford for mentally ill patients ...

Burntwood Asylum

This postcard view shows the entrance front of Burntwood Asylum, later St. Matthew's Hospital, a name officially adopted in 1948. The hospital was built by the County of Stafford for mentally ill patients ...

Burntwood Hospital Photograph

St Matthew’s Hospital, Burntwood case note extract for Alice Florendine charwoman: ‘has illegitimate child of 14 also one dead’…’practically nothing in the house’… ‘hopes she shant always be punished’. ...

Burntwood Hospital Photograph

St Matthew’s Hospital, Burntwood case note extract for Annie Podmore, servant, 26: ‘has weak intellect’ …’ has lived in Tamworth workhouse practically all her life’. Annie was discharged after 3 years ...

Burntwood Hospital Photograph

St Matthew’s Hospital, Burntwood case note extract for Frances Jones: housewife, 52 ‘had 14 children, 6 died, most in infancy’…. ‘says she is in misery’…. Frances was a long-term patient and lived ...

Chapel, Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Chapel, Coton Hill Asylum, Stafford,

Coton Hill Asylum was built in the 1850s and opened in 1854. It was originally built as an extension to the County Asylum in order to house private patients. It was to be known as The institution for ...

Charles Bamford Memorial Convalescent Home, Uttoxeter

The Hermitage Convalescent Home, also known as Dr Charles Bamford Memorial Convalescent Home, Holly Road, Uttoxeter. The Home was endowed by Ellen Bamford, wife of Dr Charles, upon her death in 1942. ...

Cheadle Hospital

Exterior view of the front of the old hospital building.

Cheadle Hospital

Cheddleton Revue, St. Edwards Hospital, Cheddleton

Taking part in this "Twenties" show were: E. Lambert, J.A. Coghill, A.M. Bolger, A.B. Knight, F.P. Archer, S. Kerry (the back row), and K.F. Connelly, B. Williams, N.G. Webb, C.J. Webb, J.L.W. Beck, M. ...

Children's Ward , Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital

Biddulph Grange was built around 1868-9 for James Bateman. The Biddulph Grange estate remained in the Bateman family until 1872, when it was bought by leading local industrialist, Robert Heath. His son, ...

Children's Ward on Christmas Day, Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital

View of nurses, Mrs Rochelle the Matron and children, some with their Christmas presents on the ward decorated for Christmas. Brian Harland aged 2 1/2 at the time is the little boy in the bus conductor’s ...

Children's Ward on Christmas Day, Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital

Obviously Father Christmas had a lot of requests for dressing up kits in this year. These young boys are certainly pleased with their cowboy and sailor outfits, not to mention all the other presents on ...

Children's Ward, Biddulph Grange Orthopaedic Hospital Roof Top Veranda

Biddulph Grange was built around 1868-9 for James Bateman. The Biddulph Grange estate remained in the Bateman family until 1872, when it was bought by leading local industrialist, Robert Heath. His son, ...