Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 4 72 Records Found

Gnosall Village and Lock-up,

Gnosall village lock-up, Station Road, built in 1830. Lock-ups, often found in rural communities, were a convenient place to detain vagrants and local drunks. Only three lock-ups survive in the county, ...

Insolvent Debtors' Yard, Stafford Gaol,

Imprisonment for debt was abolished in 1870. Debtors were allowed privileges such as being allowed to read or talk and were segregated from the other prisoners.

Interior view of Stafford Gaol

The vertical pipework used to supply town gas to lamps on the landings. It has long since been replaced by electric lighting situated at walking level.

Interior View of the Crescent Block, Stafford Gaol

Corridor in the Crescent Block, built 1830. This block was designed to hold male prisoners sentenced to periods of solitary confinement. The open design of the centre area allowed better supervision ...

Interior View of the Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol

The corridor of the women's prison, built in 1852. Three floors high, with rows of cells on either side, the central opening was designed to allow close supervision. This area is now D wing.

Ironing Room, Stafford Gaol

Female prisoners ironing in the laundry. The laundry provided clean linen for the gaol.

Laundry Drying Room, Stafford Gaol

Prison linen drying by the range in the laundry.

Laundry Room, Stafford Gaol

The laundry was located at the rear of the women's gaol, and gave employment to the female prisoners. The laundry provided clean linen for the gaol.

Laundry Washing Cubicles, Stafford Gaol

The prison laundry provided employment for female inmates and clean linen for the gaol. These washing cubicles kept the prisoners apart during their work.

Lewis Cooke and family, Stafford Gaol

Lewis Cooke, his wife Mary and their three children pictured at Stafford gaol. Lewis Cooke was a warder at Stafford Gaol between 1881 and 1891.

Men's Hospital, Stafford Gaol

The prison infirmary was originally located in rooms above the governor's house, but was later moved to a new building in the prison grounds to help prevent the spreading of infectious diseases. A ...

Morning Prayers, Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol

Morning prayers were taken in the corridor of the women's prison; services were performed in the chapel. When the chapel was rebuilt in 1852 a gallery was installed at the southern end for the female ...

New Prison Block, Stafford Gaol

The new male prison block was built in the 1846 to help ease the overcrowded conditions. Each cell, fitted with gas lighting and a water supply, was designed for one prisoner to live and work in. The ...

Old Leek Town Hall and Lock Up, Market Place, Leek

View of the Old Town Hall, which was built in 1806. It was bought by a Mr Flower in 1872, who used some of the masonry on his home, Portland House in Rosebank Street. The stone pillars were placed on ...

Old Water Conduit, Stafford,

An old water conduit unearthed during roadworks on Lichfield Road. The lock-up can be seen on the left, used to temporarily detain local drunks and vagrants. The public house is the White Lion. Both ...

Penkridge Views

This multi-view postcard shows interesting scenes taken around Penkridge. Top left: centre right is ‘The Old Cottage’, a 15th century Grade II listed building which stands on the junction of Bellbrook ...

Prisoners Returning from Labour, Stafford Gaol

Labour in Victorian prisons could consist of stone-breaking, pin-heading, oakum picking (untwisting lengths of old tarred rope) and working on the treadwheels. Here prisoners are returning from labour ...

Reception Ward, Stafford Gaol

The reception ward was located in the gate-house (now demolished). This was where new prisoners arrived and were examined. The reception ward contained a warm and cold bath and an oven to fumigate clothing. Here ...