Theme Explorer

Start Again > Celebrations, Events & Disasters > Demolitions & Explosions
Page 2 of 3 43 Records Found

Demolition of the Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The prison gate-house was demolished in 1952 in order to widen Gaol Road. The new gate-house, seen on the left, was built by the prisoners before the old one was destroyed.

Demolition of the Municipal Hall, Ironmarket, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The Hall was demolished in 1967 and the present Newcastle Library now occupies the site. The Dance Hall is pictured here during the demolition.

Demolition of the Old Guildhall, Stafford

The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed ...

Demolition of the Old Guildhall, Stafford

The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed ...

Demolition, High Street, Uttoxeter

Alterations to the Brewery yard car park to make way for the bus station and the Maltings shopping complex in Uttoxeter. McCann’s photographers shop is the building on the left with the yellow 'Kodak' ...

Demolition, High Street, Uttoxeter

Alterations to the Brewery yard car park to make way for the bus station and the Maltings shopping complex on the High Street, Uttoxeter. The old Brewery Office building can be seen on the right. In ...

Demolition, High Street, Uttoxeter

Alterations to The Brewery yard car park to make way for the bus station and the Maltings shopping complex. This photograph is facing Bradley Street. In the centre is Bradley House Club and to the left ...

Fauld explosion crater

An aerial view of the crater at Fauld, near Hanbury. On the morning of November 27, 1944, a huge explosion took place after the accidental ignition of 3,500 tons of explosives stored by the RAF in ...

Fauld explosion, The Cock Inn, Hanbury

On the morning of November 27, 1944, a huge explosion took place after the accidental ignition of 3,500 tons of explosives stored by the RAF in a disused gypsum mine. Upper Castle Hayes Farm was completely ...

Hagley Hall, Rugeley

In 1941, Hagley Hall was bought by Mr C.J. Whieldon, proprietor of the Green Bus Company, Rugeley. Due to the War effort, he could not occupy the Hall until the Military had exited the property in 1945. ...

Holborn Paper Mill, Newcastle-Under-Lyme

Demolition of the old Holborn paper mill.

Market Hall demolition, Cannock

Cannock's old Market Hall undergoing demolition and redevelopment in August 1975.

Merrial Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme

View of Merrial Street prior to demolition.

Mill Street Junior School, Silverdale

The Junior School on Mill Street during demolition in 1990. The stone plaque was rescued and is part of the new Primary School building. In 1872 a school was opened in the Primitive Methodist Sunday ...

Minnie Pit Disaster, 1918

Minnie pit will ever be remembered as the most infamous in the North Staffordshire coal field due to the heavy loss of life it incurred on 12th January 1918. This was the third disaster at the pit and ...

Minnie Pit, Halmerend, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Minnie Pit after the explosion in 1912.

Municipal Hall foundation stone, Ironmarket, Newcastle-under-Lyme

The foundation stone was laid under great ceremony in 1888 by the Mayor and civic dignitaries of the time. It contained a time capsule which is now held at the museum. This is the stone being removed ...

Municipal Hall, Ironmarket, Newcastle-under-Lyme

Photograph of the Municipal Hall Clock tower and part of frontage shortly before demolition.