Theme Explorer

Start Again > Buildings, Architecture, Monuments > Public Art & Sculpture
Page 2 of 5 76 Records Found

Lichfield - Market Place: sepia drawing (vignetted)

'The Statue of Dr. Samuel Johnson in the Market Place at Lichfield. Presented by James Thomas Law, Chancellor of the Diocese, August 1838.' Showing half of the front of the statue, and the columned ...

Lichfield - Statue of Dr. Johnson: engraving

Showing an outline pen drawing of Dr. Johnson's statue in the Market Place, from the north west. 'Engraved by J. Stubbs from a statue by Lucas.'

Longton Park. Photographed by William Blake.

Park scene taken at Longton Park, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This view includes the Trentham Road entrance, gates and lodge. The park's official name is Queen's Park and it was officially opened ...

Main Street, Alrewas

'Forge Cottage' on Main Street. The tower of All Saints' Church can be seen in the background.

Market Square and Conduit Street, Lichfield

Lichfield Market Square, in the days when cars and coaches were allowed to park on the square. In the background is Conduit Street with businesses, from left to right: the Malt Shovel Inn; Halls the Butchers; ...

Market Square, Lichfield

A market has been held on Lichfield market square since the 12th century and this typical view of the market from the 1930s is pretty much unchanged today. On the far side of the square is the Samuel ...

Market Square, Lichfield

A postcard view of the Market Square in Lichfield. On the left is a statue of Dr Samuel Johnson. He is most famous for writing the first comprehensive English dictionary, but was also known for being ...

Market Square, Lichfield

A postcard view of the Market Square in Lichfield, also known as Market Place. On the left is the statue of Dr Samuel Johnson. He is most famous for writing the first comprehensive English dictionary, ...

Market Street, Stafford,

These buildings in Market Street were demolished in the 1960s. The building on the right, with the plaster figures on the roof, was a tea warehouse, built in the eighteenth century when tea was an ...

Memorial Plaque, High Offley Church,

Memorial to a member of the Skrymsher family, dated 1724, in the chancel of St. Mary's Church.

Monument to Sir Robert Wolseley, Colwich Church,

Sir Robert Wolseley of Wolseley Hall fought on the side of the King during the Civil War; his estate was later confiscated as a result. He died of a fever in 1646 aged 59, his body being brought back ...

Monument to the Duke of Sutherland, Trentham

The monument to the First Duke of Sutherland (died 1833) is situated at the south end of the Trentham Estate. The statue is the work of Winks (designer) and Chantrey (sculptor). The 15 foot statue ...

Monument to the Duke of Sutherland, Trentham Park

The monument was erected in 1836 in honour of the 1st Duke of Sutherland, George Granville Leveson-Gower, at Trentham Gardens. The monument was designed by Charles Winks and the figure was sculpted under ...

Monument to the Duke of Sutherland, Trentham Park

The monument was erected in 1836 in honour of the 1st Duke of Sutherland, George Granville Leveson-Gower, at Trentham Gardens. The monument was designed by Charles Winks and the figure was sculpted under ...

Monument to the Wood family at Colwich Church

East side of cross in Colwich churchyard carved by sculptor Samuel Peploe Wood as a monument to his brother, the painter Thomas Peploe Wood, and other members of his family.

National Garden Festival, Stoke-on-Trent

The National Garden Festival took place at Etruria between May and October 1986 and was opened by Queen Elizabeth II. It led to the restoration and reclamation of a 180 acre derelict site. The site is ...

Norman and Saxon Carvings, Colwich Church,

Various pieces of stonework set into the wall of the vestry of St. Michael and All Angels Church. The head, piscina, and column are believed to be Saxon. The chevron mouldings at the lower end are ...

Norman Font, St. Mary and All Saints' Church, Bradley,

The church at Bradley dates from the Norman period, but was rebuilt in the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. The font is also Norman, with Greek key decoration. Photograph donated by Stafford ...