Theme Explorer

Start Again > Buildings, Architecture, Monuments > Law & Order Buildings

Refine By Selecting a Sub Theme

Courts(34)Prisons & Reformatories(65)
Page 2 of 9 158 Records Found

County Road, Stafford

View looking along County Road towards the entrance to HMP Stafford on Gaol Road. The entrance visible in the photograph dates from the 1950s, when the original Victorian gatehouse (which stood out further ...

Crescent Block, Stafford Gaol,

The Crescent, named after its shape, was built in 1830 in response to overcrowded conditions within the prison and contained 175 cells. It was designed for male prisoners, particularly those who had ...

Croxden Abbey: water colour painting

Interior of the abbey looking towards the west, from the east end. Anonymous, [possibly the same artist as Burton, Nos. SV II.171a and b.]

Custom House, Liverpool. Photographed by William Blake.

Lantern slide showing the custom house at Liverpool docks with a steamship and a docked sailing vessel.

Demolition of Magistrates' Court, Stafford

Looking east along South Walls in Stafford towards the former Magistrates' Court building. On the left is a glimpse of Staffordshire Place and in the background there is the BT Telephone Exchange. Construction ...

Demolition of the Gate-house, Stafford Gaol,

The prison gate-house was demolished in 1952 in order to widen Gaol Road. The new gate-house, seen on the left, was built by the prisoners before the old one was destroyed.

Edward VII's visit to Stafford and Ingestre,

Edward VII visited Lord Shrewsbury at Ingestre Hall in November 1907. At the end of the visit he stopped briefly in Market Square, Stafford and was welcomed by the Mayor before being driven off.

Edward VII's visit to Stafford,

Edward VII visited Lord Shrewsbury at Ingestre Hall in November 1907. At the end of the visit he stopped briefly in Market Square, Stafford and was welcomed by the Mayor before being driven off. RJ ...

Elford Church: sepia drawing

Showing Sir John Stanley's effigy [1474]. Figure dressed in armour with his hands together, as if praying.Anonymous, [S. Shaw.]

Entrance to the Governor's House, Stafford Gaol,

When the gaol was built in 1793 it included a house for the governor, who was required by law to live within the prison grounds. The governor's quarters were built facing Gaol Road. At the time ...

Execution of George Bentley

A broadsheet detailing the trial and execution of George Bentley of Mill Meece, near Eccleshall. Bentley was convicted of the murder of John Poole of Croxton, at Walk Mill at Offley Brook, near Eccleshall. ...

Exercise Yard, Stafford Gaol,

Exercise yard situated in the south east corner of the new prison block. This is now (2017) the exercise yard for A and B wing prisoners.

Exercise Yard, Women's Prison, Stafford Gaol,

Female prisoners at silent exercise. They are supervised by a wardress in the sentry box. This area is now (2017) the exercise yard for D wing inmates. Note the woman holding a child on the far right; ...

Fire and Rescue Service, Stafford

Photograph shows a fire and rescue drill outside the Shire Hall in Stafford. Ambulance staff are lowering a patient onto a stretcher. A fire engine is in the background. Reproduced by Kind Permission ...

Forebridge Lock-up, Stafford

The lock-up on Lichfield Road dates from the early eighteenth century. It was built from stone taken from the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel which once stood on this site. Lock-ups were used ...

Forebridge Lock-up, Stafford,

The lock-up on Lichfield Road dates from the early eighteenth century. It was built from stone taken from the medieval St. John's Hospital and Chapel which once stood on this site. Lock-ups were used ...

Gaol Road, Stafford

View looking along Gaol Road towards Stafford town centre. HMP Stafford can be seen stretching along the road on the left. The original Victorian gatehouse - once a distinctive feature of this view and ...

Gaol Road, Stafford

Looking north along Gaol Road from Gaol Square. The Gaol walls and gatehouse can be sen to the right. On the left is Boon's tobacconists Postcard published by William Shaw of Burslem. Postmarked ...