Theme Explorer

Start Again > Sport, Arts & Leisure > Libraries & Archives
Page 2 of 5 75 Records Found

Burton Library, Union Street, Burton-upon-Trent

A lender passing a book to a librarian in Burton Library. In 1876 the Mechanics’ Institute and the Burton Literary Society were amalgamated as the Burton Institute. This moved to new premises in Union ...

City Central Library and Art Gallery & Museum, Bethesda Street, Hanley

This photograph is looking over the foundations of the City Central Library and Archives building towards the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery. This photograph was taken in 1968, before the museum building ...

Corporation Street, Tamworth

The Carnegie Library built in 1905 is seen on the left, with the Assembly Rooms on the far right. The tower of St. Editha's can be seen in the background. The Assembly rooms were built by a public subscription ...

Dr Samuel Johnson’s Birthplace and Statue, Lichfield

This postcard view shows Dr Samuel Johnson's statue on the left. It is by R.C. Lucas and was erected in 1838. The house on the right was completed in 1707 by Michael Johnson, Samuel's father. Samuel Johnson ...

Dr Samuel Johnson’s Statue, Lichfield

A postcard view of the Statue of Dr Samuel Johnson in the Market Place, Lichfield. It is by R.C. Lucas and was erected in 1838. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), lexicographer, critic and poet, was born ...

Dr. Richard Garnett

Lithograph print. A caricature of Dr. Richard Garnett(1835-1906), scholar, librarian and poet, by 'Spy', with caption 'Printed books' . Appeared in 'Vanity Fair' 11th April 1895. He was born in Lichfield, ...

Eccleshall Library

This photograph of the Library on the High Street in Eccleshall was taken by Stafford photographer Tony Boydon not long after it opened in 1972. On the right and fixed to the roadside is an Esso four ...

Fenton Library

Some of the book stacks inside Fenton Library which was on Baker Street, at the corner of Glebedale Road. Financed with £5,000 from the Andrew Carnegie Trust, the library opened in 1906 with over 2,000 ...

Fenton Library

Bert Bentley entitled this as "A satisfied client". Inside Fenton Public Library on Baker Street, at the corner of Glebedale Road. The building dates from 1906 and was one of the libraries built with ...

Fenton Library

In the entrance hall alcove was this wall painting: "Read that you may learn". The library was one of over 600 free public libraries built in the UK with money from the Andrew Carnegie Trust. Andrew Carnegie ...

Free Library and Reading Rooms

This view was identified as being of the Free Library on Union Street, Burton-upon-Trent, but this is incorrect. The view shows a Free Library and Reading Rooms building, with a datestone of 1894, ...

Interior of the Old William Salt Library, Stafford

Interior of the library on Market Square, prior to its move to Eastgate Street. William Salt was a banker and Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, born in 1808. His home was in Weeping Cross. His ...

Interior of the Old William Salt Library, Stafford, (2)

Interior of the library on Market Square, prior to its move to Eastgate Street. William Salt was a banker and Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries, born in 1808. His home was in Weeping Cross. His ...

Izaak Walton exhibition, Stafford Library & Museum

Stafford Borough Councillors and Trustees of Izaak Walton Cottage at the opening of the Izaak Walton exhibition at Stafford Library and Museum. They are pictured looking at objects in the first floor ...

Kinver Library

Kinver Library on Vicarage Drive. The National School for boys and girls was opened in 1851. In 1856 there were 69 boys and 53 girls. In 1861 it became a girls school. It later became a Primary ...

Kinver Library

Kinver Library on Vicarage Drive. The National School for boys and girls was opened in 1851. In 1856 there were 69 boys and 53 girls. In 1861 it became a girls school. It later became a Primary ...

Lecture Hall, Stafford Library & Museum

A view of the Lecture Hall after it was reorganised ready for re-opening in 1947, the Library and Museum having been closed for the duration of the Second World War. Oil paintings and framed embroideries ...

Library staff, Stafford Library & Museum

Library staff in the first floor Reference Room in Stafford Library and Museum at The Green. Third from left is Thomas Jackson who was Librarian and Curator between 1892 and 1927. The Reference Room ...