Theme Explorer

Page 2 of 7 119 Records Found

Crown Bridge, Penkridge

This postcard view looks south-east from Stone Cross towards Crown Bridge in Penkridge. On the left can be seen a Post Office K8 type telephone box, centre right there is the former Barclays Bank and ...

Dains Mill, Upper Hulme

Thomas Hine loading corn at Dains Mill, Upper Hulme. The water powered mill at Dains Mill dates back to around 1600. Four generations of the Hines family worked the mill from 1802. For a while, the ...

Demolition of the Old Guildhall, Stafford

The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed ...

District Bank, Market Square, Hanley: lithograph

'District Bank, Hanley. Erected, 1833.' Showing a Gothic building and other houses/shops in the street. There are people in the street outside the bank, selling their wares.Inscribed 'To the General ...

District Bank, Stafford,

The Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company opened a branch in Stafford in 1832, having taken over the Stafford Bank (which had been declared bankrupt in 1830). Its first premises, Bank House, ...

Dr Johnson’s Statue, Market Square, Lichfield

A postcard view of the Statue of Dr Samuel Johnson in the Market Square, Lichfield. It is by R.C. Lucas and was erected in 1838. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), lexicographer, critic and poet, was born on ...

Fountain Square from Stafford Street, Hanley

This was the view north from Stafford Street into Fountain Square with Market Square visible beyond. Now pedestrianised, there is no longer a roundabout in the square. The shops on the left (Willerbys ...

Fountain Square, Hanley

The camera is looking across Fountain Square towards Tontine square with Tontine Street in the distance. The area is now pedestrianized, so has lost the roundabout, traffic and array of road signs. The ...

GEC ALSTHOM Employees, Charity Sponsored Run

On a grey Autumn morning in 1989 employees from the adjacent site of GEC ALSTHOM'S Distribution Services Division and the Site Services Division are pictured gathering on the car park of Lloyd’s Bank, ...

Granville Square, Stone,

Granville Square was originally named Pump Square, but when the pump was removed the square was renamed after Earl Granville of Stonepark. Trees were planted to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII ...

Granville Square, Stone,

Granville Square was originally named Pump Square, but when the pump was removed the square was renamed after Earl Granville of Stonepark. Trees were planted to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII ...

Greengate Street, Stafford

This view of Greengate Street in Stafford was taken from the first floor of the Swan Hotel, of which there is a part view on the right. The Pickford’s heavy haulage tractor unit is transporting a ...

Greengate Street, Stafford

A colour-tinted view looking along Greengate Street towards Market Square. On the left are the Staffordshire Advertiser Offices. The newspaper was founded in 1795 and moved to these premises in 1860. ...

Greengate Street, Stafford

A view looking from Market Square along Greengate Street. On then left is Brookfield and Windows department store, first opened in 1743 by George Boulton, on the corner of Market Square and Greengate ...

Greengate Street, Stafford,

On the left are the Staffordshire Advertiser Offices. The newspaper was founded in 1795 and moved to these premises in 1860. Next door is the Gothic-style building of the District Bank, demolished in ...

High Street, Biddulph

The east side of Biddulph High Street looking north towards Congleton. In the distance is the junction with Station Road, which bears to the left. The tree on the right stands in front of the old Council ...

High Street, Biddulph

On the right-hand side is a chemists, with the District Bank on the corner further down the street.

High Street, Biddulph

The western side of Biddulph High Street looking from its junction with King Street. The District Bank is on the extreme right behind railings. The building on the near side of the left junction with ...