Theme Explorer

Start Again > Religion & Beliefs > Monuments & Memorials
Page 15 of 19 334 Records Found

St. Peter's Church Interior, Broughton,

St. Peter's was built in 1634 on the site of an earlier chapel, for the Broughton family. The stained glass in the east window dates from the fifteenth century.

St. Peter's Church, Hednesford

St. Peter's Parish Church, Hednesford was built on land donated by The Marquis of Anglesey and opened in 1868. it was built from stone from the Marquis's quarry at Etchinghill, Rugeley. Hednesford became ...

St. Peter's Church, Marchington

A postcard view of St. Peter's Church which was built in 1742 to designs by Richard Trubshaw of Little Haywood. This “Shaw” Series postcard was posted and franked in Marchington in September 1905 – ...

Stafford - Aston Monument in St. Mary's Church: sepia drawing

'Remains of the Aston Monument in the North Transept of Saint Mary's Church, Stafford.' Showing a table tomb commemorating Sir Edward Aston of Tixall (headless) and his wife Joan, 1562. Also showing ...

Stafford - Brass tombstone in St. Mary's Church: drawing

Showing a copy of a brass tombstone, in black ink on yellow paper.Inscribed 'Here Lies mary Relict of Christopher Rode Esqr. of Laton in Cheshire who died 23 Jany. 1733 aged 67.' Anonymous.

Stafford Crown Court Opening and RAF Stafford

Service personnel from RAF Stafford are pictured with bayonets fixed as they form a guard of honour during the summer opening of the Crown Court ceremony in Victoria Square, Stafford. The processional ...

Stafford Crown Court Opening and RAF Stafford

On a January day a procession attending the opening ceremony of the Hilary Term (January to March) at Stafford Crown Court is pictured outside the Crown Court building in Victoria Square, Stafford. The ...

Stafford Crown Court Opening and RAF Stafford

On a January day service personnel from RAF Stafford are pictured in Victoria Square, Stafford leading a procession for the opening ceremony of the Hilary Term (January to March) at Stafford Crown Court. ...

Staircase to the Levett Pew, Baswich Church,

Baswich Church features two large pews positioned high in the chancel, dating from 1812. The pews belonged to the Chetwynd family of Brocton Hall and the Levetts of Milford Hall; although both pews are ...

Standon Church - Gravestone: sepia drawing

'Grave Stone in the middle aisle of Standon Church, Staffordshire.' Showing a cross botonny.'J. B.,' [John Buckler.]

Standon Church - Tomb of Francis Rose: pen drawing

'This Table of Alablaster (sic) lies on the North Side of the Chancell raised upon free stone.' Showing a bearded man in armour, his wife with long sleeves [died 28th December 1572], and their fourteen ...

Standon Church - Wall Tomb [to Nicholas Hyde]: sepia drawing

'Effigy on the north side of Chancel of Standon Church, Staffordshire.' Showing a wall tomb, with an interruption in masonry, of Nicholas Hyde, 1511. The inscription is only suggested.[See SV IX.128a, ...

Standon Church - Wall Tomb to Nicholas Hyde: sepia drawing

'Staundon (sic). On the north side of the Chancell in free stone.' Showing a wall tomb, with an interruption in masonry, of Nicholas Hyde, 1511.Inscribed 'Hic jacet dns. Nicolaus hyde quondam rector ...

Standon Church: Ancient Stone Coffin: sepia drawing

'Ancient Stone Coffin found in pulling down the East Wall of the Chancel of Standon Church, Staffordshire.' Showing the top half only, with a niche for the head.'J. B.,' [John Buckler.]

Stone - Free School: sepia drawing

'The Free School at the East end of Saint Michael's Church yard at Stone, Staffordshire.' This appears to be the back of the Grammar School from the south east, [see SV X.19c, for comparative view.] ...

Stone - Tomb of Thomas Crompton: sepia drawing

'Stone. In the Chancell in Alablaster (sic).' Showing an alabaster wall tomb in the chancel to Thomas Crompton, esq., who died 1 Dec., 1673, aged 67, with a long epitaph. There is a coat of arms [Crompton] ...

Stone - Tomb of William Crompton: sepia drawing

'In the Chancell at Stone.' Showing a tomb in free stone of William Crompton and Jane [Aston] with armorial bearings set on a mantle and numerous shields on the sides of the tomb. Artist: J. R. Fernyhough....

Stone Bench, Tixall,

This is one of two stone seats situated approximately half a mile from Tixall on the Tixall to Stafford road. The seats were placed here in memory of Thomas Hartshorne; they replaced seats placed there ...