Theme Explorer

Page 14 of 14 249 Records Found

Victoria Colliery, Black Bull, Stoke-on-Trent

No 2 upcast shaft at Victoria Colliery, also known as Black Bull after the nearby village, opened in 1857 and closed in 1982. The upcast shaft acted like a chimney being used to draw spent or foul air ...

View of Baggeridge Woods Coal Mine, Himley

This photograph appears to show the erection of a new winding gear, prior to a new pit being sunk. The first shaft at Baggeridge was sunk in February 1899, mining a coal seam at a depth of 600 feet. ...

View of Littleton Colliery

Part of Littleton stockyard is picture here, with coal screening buildings in the background. Cannock and Huntington Collieries Company started sinking both No. 1 Shaft and No. 2 Shaft in January 1877. ...

View of Littleton Colliery

Cannock and Huntington Collieries Company started sinking both No. 1 Shaft and No. 2 Shaft in January 1877. By 1881 the shafts were sunk to just over 400ft (121m) but severe water problems caused the ...

View of the Potteries from Stoke-on-Trent

A view south east from open ground near the top of Sturgess Street in Stoke-on-Trent. The roof in the centre foreground behind the trees belongs to the main range of Falcon Pottery Works, built 1902-1905. ...

West Cannock Colliery, Hednesford

An aerial view looking south over West Cannock Colliery on the southern edge of Cannock Chase. The road running from left to right in the top of the photograph is the A460 between Rugeley and Hednesford....

West Cannock Colliery, No 3 Hednesford

View of mine buildings and winding gear. One coal truck with the name of the colliery painted on side is standing by the railway. West Cannock Colliery Company had 5 sites: No.1 plant (pit) was ...

West Cannock No 5 Pit

AAn aerial view of West Cannock No 5 Pit and the causeway across Rising Brook valley, between Hednesford and Rugeley on Cannock Chase coal mine. A ballon advertising Staffordshire Building Society can ...

White barn Colliery, Knutton

A photo of the last portion of the White barn colliery at Knutton which was founded in 1800 by the Lawton family and demolished in 1902 by James Nind.

Whitfield Colliery. Photographed by William Blake.

Lantern slide with a view of Chatterly Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. This lantern slide appears to be one of a group used for a presentation or slide show by Blake entitled “Staffordshire ...

Wire Mill , Kinver

In the 19th century there were several forges manufacturing bar, rod and sheet iron in Kinver Parish. This mill, on Mill Lane was making iron and steel wire in 1968, but later changed to manufacturing ...

Wolstanton Colliery from Middleport, Stoke-on-Trent

This photograph was taken looking south down the Fowlea Brook valley. Ricardo Street is no more, mostly lying under Middleport Park. The two winding gear towers are clearly visible and running across ...

Wolstanton Colliery, Newcastle-under-Lyme

A view of the working Wolstanton Colliery. The Colliery was demolished in the late 1980s and a retail park now stands on the site. The Colliery was opened in 1920 and was merged with Sneyd and Hanley ...

Wooden headgear at Chatterley Whitfield colliery

Before steel headgear, wooden headgear was normally used. This photograph clearly shows the wooden headgear at Engine pit, Chatterley Whitfield colliery. The headgear is built for winding the cage ...

Wyrley No.3 Colliery, Great Wyrley

Opened in 1905, Wyrley No.3 Colliery was owned by William Harrison Ltd until 1947, when it was taken over and managed by the National Coal Board until 1963 when it merged with Mid Cannock Colliery. This ...