Theme Explorer

Start Again > Religion & Beliefs > Monuments & Memorials
Page 14 of 19 334 Records Found

St. Chad's Church Interior, Seighford,

St. Chad's dates from the Norman period, although the west tower was rebuilt in local brick in the seventeenth century after the original tower collapsed. Evidence of Norman architecture can still be ...

St. Chad's Church Interior, Stafford, (2)

St. Chad's dates from the Norman period and is one of Stafford's oldest churches. The church was originally built in an open square, but since the seventeenth century it was surrounded by shops and housing, ...

St. Chad's Well, Lichfield

St. Chad's Well, Lichfield. St. Chad is said to have baptised his converts here and after his death in AD 672, it became a place of pilgrimage. In the 1830s James Rawson, a local doctor, built this stone ...

St. Editha’s Church, Church Eaton

A postcard view of St. Editha’s Church in Church Eaton. In the foreground there is a woman who appears to be operating the village water pump. St. Editha's Church is built from local sandstone. The ...

St. John the Baptist Church Interior, Great Haywood

St. John the Baptist Church was originally built at Tixall Hall in 1829 by Joseph Ireland, as a private chapel for the Clifford family. The Cliffords sold the estate to the Earl of Talbot of Ingestre ...

St. John the Evangelist Church, Oulton

A postcard view of the Church of St. John the Evangelist at Oulton which was built in 1874 to designs by Robert Scrivener & Son of Stoke-on-Trent. The north aisle was added in 1894-95. This postcard ...

St. John’s Church, Barlaston

A postcard view of the interior of St. John's Church situated close to Barlaston Hall. The earliest part of the church is the tower, dating from the twelfth century; the remainder of the church was ...

St. John's Church and the Trent and Mersey Canal, Armitage

A postcard picture of St. John's Church, Armitage, viewed from the Trent and Mersey Canal. With the exception of the tower, which dates from 1632, the church was rebuilt in 1844-47 in a Norman style, ...

St. John's Church Interior, Barlaston,

St. John's Church is situated close to Barlaston Hall. The earliest part of the church is the tower, dating from the twelfth century; the remainder of the church was rebuilt in 1888. Set into the south ...

St. Leonard's Churchyard, Ipstones

Gravestones in St. Leonard's churchyard, ipstones.

St. Mary's Church, Stafford

A tinted postcard view of the Church of St. Mary, Stafford from the south. The present building is a mixture of genuine medieval and the work of Sir George Gilbert Scott, who restored the church in 1841-1844 ...

St. Michael and All Angels' Church, Penkridge

This postcard view shows an engraving dated 20 April 1857, by Rooke & Co. London, of St. Michael and All Angels' Church, which dates from the 13th century, and also has decorated and late Perpendicular ...

St. Michael’s Church, Penkridge

This multi-view postcard shows interior and exterior views of St. Michael and All Angels' Church which dates from the 13th century, and also has Decorated and late Perpendicular features. It was a Royal ...

St. Michael’s Church, Penkridge

This postcard view shows the interior of St. Michael and All Angels' Church which dates from the 13th century, and also has Decorated and late Perpendicular features. It was a Royal Collegiate Church, ...

St. Michael’s Church, Penkridge

This night-time postcard picture shows the exterior of St. Michael and All Angels' Church floodlit for the Coronation of King George VI in 1937. The Church dates from the 13th century, and also has ...

St. Michael's Church Choir and Servers, Brereton

The full choir was was assembled for this photograph, a much larger group than a typical Sunday turnout. They are pictured in the church nave before the altar step. It was a wholly male choir which ...

St. Michael's Church, Brereton, Rugeley

St. Michael's Church was built in 1837 by Thomas Trubshaw of Little Haywood. It was later enlarged by George Gilbert Scott in 1877-78. The tower was enlarged by John Oldrid Scott in 1887. This view ...

St. Michael's Church, Stramshall

St. Michael's was built in 1850-2 by Thomas Fradgley of Uttoxeter. The tall cross to the left of the path is the village War Memorial, dedicated around 1920. Photograph by the Rev. C.F.L. Barnwell ...