Theme Explorer

Page 11 of 17 299 Records Found

Market Place, Uttoxeter

A postcard view of the Market Place in Uttoxeter with the Conduit in the foreground. On the right, behind the single decker bus, is Bradley’s menswear shop. There was also a branch of Bradley's in the ...

Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square. In 1927 the Borough Council ...

Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square. In 1927 the Borough Council ...

Market Street, Rugeley

This postcard shows a quiet scene looking south along Market Street, Rugeley. The photograph was taken by the junction with Bryans Lane. Several of the buildings on the left remain (November 2020). This ...

Marson's Old Curiosity Shop, Stafford,

In 1890 William Albert Marson opened his 'Old Curiosity Shop' on Albion Place, selling furniture, china and fancy goods. He also owned a high class family grocer's shop, established in the High House ...

Meaford Power Station and Darlaston Bridge, near Stone

Meaford Power Station, situated on the River Trent, was first commissioned in 1948 and was a coal-fired power station. Both the Meaford A (1948) and Meaford B (commissioned 1955) stations can be seen, ...

Men in uniform outside the Reform Tavern, Woodseaves

Men in military uniform, possibly a military band, standing outside the Reform Tavern in Woodseaves. The landlord at the time was Charles Husselbee. Photographer: Harry Osbourne of Woodseaves.

Midland Red Bus in Stafford

A Midland Red Bus destined for Cannock is pictured in Gaolgate Street, Stafford. On the right is Halfords shop which at a later date relocated to a larger site on Foregate Street. Above the bus is a ...

Midland Red Bus in Stafford

A Midland Red Bus destined for Beaconside is pictured with passengers boarding in Gaolgate Street, Stafford. On the left is Hepworth’s menswear shop and adjacent is Marks and Spencer store (this relocated ...

Milford Common

A postcard view of a busy scene on Milford Common at Holiday time. It was taken on the Stafford to Rugeley (A513) Road by the junction with Brocton Road at Milford. This postcard was franked on 2 ...

Milford on 'Milford Day',

Milford was a very popular weekend destination for visitors in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Excursion trains ran between Stafford and Milford stations. There was no such holiday ...

Milford Village

Looking north along the Brocton Road to Milford Common and village. The building above the cyclist is the Barley Mow public house which stands on the A513 Stafford to Rugeley Road.

Mill Bank, Stone

A tinted postcard view of the junction of Longton Road and Nicholls Lane, showing Millbank Cottages and Hayes Mill. Published by A.W. Tilley, newsagent and stationers, 7 Radford Street, Stone. Hayes ...

Mill Lane, Wetley Rocks

On the left hand-side behind the car with the 'L' plate on the front is the church lych-gate with hanging lantern.

Mummery and Sons, Jewellers, Stafford,

Mummery's was located on the corner of Market Square and Gaolgate Street. The building was demolished in the late 1950s or early 1960s and replaced by a modern building, currently occupied by the Santander ...

Munchies Cafe, Piccadilly, Hanley

Munchies café and takeway which stands at the bottom of Piccadilly, Hanley, on the corner with Albion Street.

Nantwich, Cheshire. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene taken at Nantwich, Cheshire. This view includes a mock tudor building.

Nantwich, Cheshire. Photographed by William Blake.

Street scene taken in High Street, Nantwich, Cheshire. This row of buildings is a typical example of the half timbered, black and white Tudor architecture found in the historic market town.