Excavation of St. Bertelin's Church, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:October 1954

Description:Mr. A. H. Oswald, Keeper of Archaeology at Birmingham Museum, describing the progress of excavations on the site of St. Bertelin's Chapel in St. Mary's churchyard to members of the Old Stafford Society. The stonework foundations were dated to the 10th century. The excavations took place during the summer of 1954 and were supervised by Mr Oswald and Mr. J. S. Home, Secretary of the Old Stafford Society

Reproduced by kind permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire Newsletter - Creator

Donor ref:D4527- A7-NN-890 (201/45302)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.