YMCA Hut, Brocton Camp

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1916 - 1917 (c.)

Description:There were a number of large huts sponsored by local religious organisations or sole benefactors to look after the well-being of the troops whilst in the Camp. This did not stop them venturing into local towns and villages for sustenance. Brocton had more than one YMCA hut and this one, judging by its position could be the one by the side of Chase Road close to what is now Chase Road Corner car park. It stood in front of "P" & "Q" Lines. The huts enabled the troops to have a cup of tea and piece of cake whilst reading a newspaper, buy postcards for their loved ones, read books from a small library and relax from the rigours of training with a few home comforts.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:13_031r (215/36466)

Source: Mr Jake Whitehouse

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.