Alstom, Lichfield Road, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:11th of June 1999

Description:Pupils from Silkmore Primary School, Stafford are pictured in front of a Goliath tractor at the Queensville area of the Lichfield Road site in Stafford. During the visit to the site they toured the Power Electronic Systems manufacturing and test areas and the Transformer factory.

Among those in the photograph are: Fiona Bryant, David Busby, Reagan Betts, Daniel Hodkinson, Roxanne Parton, Martyn Reynolds, Sarah Dawson, Trevor Jones, Andrew Hollins, Kylie Lowe, Chris Wilson, Shane Wilson, Sammy-Jo Horobin, Gareth Tucker and Lisa Till.

At the time this photograph was taken the company had become known as Alstom and the Goliath was still painted in GEC ALSTHOM livery which was grey, orange and white, this would later change to red, blue and white. These huge tractors were used along with girder beam trailers for moving large and heavy loads from the site to their destination

Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).