Market Square, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:Stafford had held a weekly market since the Middle Ages. In 1853 a covered market opened behind the new Guildhall, but some stalls continued to trade from the Market Square.

On the right is the Shire Hall. There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place for the County Court and later for other civic meetings.

The present building, designed by John Harvey and erected between 1795 - 98, is the third of its kind on approximately the same site. Building began behind the old Shire Hall so that once the old building was demolished the new one would face onto a large square.

The Shire Hall was vacated by the Crown Court in 1991 and the hall was restored for use as an art gallery. The rear of the building is now the public library, which moved from The Green in 1999.

To the left is the Jubilee Fountain, erected in 1887 to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It was demolished in 1934.

To the right of the Jubilee Fountain is the National Provincial Bank, now Pizza Express. Behind the street lamp is Lloyd's Bank, formerly Stafford Old Bank.