River Sow, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1950 - 1955 (c.)

Description:Looking upstream along the River Sow, close to Stafford town centre. Some workmen are felling a tree and removing it from the river. The spire in the distance belongs to the Royal Brine Baths, opened in 1892 and demolished in 1977. To the right can be seen the rear of houses which formerly stood along South Walls. The right hand side of this image is now (2019) occupied by Stafford Borough Council's Civic Offices and the left by the Waterfront multi-story car park and the new Odeon cinema which opened late 2018.

Reproduced by Kind Permission of the Staffordshire Newsletter who retain copyright.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:C14.DB.10 (201/36049)

Source: Staffordshire County Record Office

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.