English Electric Co., Ltd. Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:29th of April 1940

Description:Senior Managers, guests and employees are pictured at the Stafford Works during a presentation to Mr George Horatio Nelson, Esq. M.I.E.E. At a later date Mr Nelson became the 1st Lord Nelson of Stafford and at the time of this photograph he was the Chairman and Managing Director of the English Electric Company Limited.

Left to right: Mr J Rogers, unknown, unknown, Mrs Nelson (later Lady Nelson), Mr C H Shardlow, unknown, unknown, speaking into the microphone is Mr Nelson (later Lord Nelson) and Mr J W C Milligan.

This gathering was to mark the occasion of the 21st anniversary of the formation of the company and the 10th year of Mr Nelson’s Chairmanship. During this event speeches were made by Mr J W C Milligan, Manager, Stafford Works, Mr J Rogers, General Manager of Works and Mr C H (Charlie) Shardlow, Chairman of the Stafford Works Committee (later Senior Shop Steward). Mr Nelson was presented with a gift of silver plate and an illuminated address signed by the Chairmen of the Works and Staff Committees on behalf of 15,000 employees from the original Works Sites around the United Kingdom and also from employees of the Home and Overseas branch offices.

During World War II the Stafford factory manufactured Armoured Vehicles which included the Covenanter, Centaur, Comet and Cromwell tanks and the factory was also renowned for its electrical products including generators, transformers and switchgear. Siemens Brothers purchased the land in 1901 and built the factory and offices which were ready to start production in 1903. In 1918 Siemens merged with several companies, including Dick, Kerr and Co., to become the English Electric Co. Two years later in 1920, The English Electric Co bought the Stafford Works. The English Electric Co merged with GEC (The General Electric Company) during 1968 and the Lichfield Road Site became part of GEC Power Engineering Ltd. On 22 March 1989 became part of GEC ALSTHOM, an Anglo French Joint Venture. On 22 June 1998 became part of ALSTOM with global HQ in Paris and on 2 November 2015 the Stafford Grid and Power Businesses became part of GE (General Electric, an American Company).


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford
Millwrights at Siemens Bros. factory, Stafford

Millwrights with a saddle tank locomotive at Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works, Stafford ...

English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply
English Electric Co. Stafford and the Ministry of Supply

English Electric staff and Ministry of Supply personnel are pictured during a visit ...

The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford
The 40 Club Dinner at The English Electric Co. Ltd., Stafford

Employees and guests are pictured at the Stafford Works 40 Club Annual Dinner in ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Creators: Mr Chris Coates - Contributor

Donor ref:BM-CC-027 (37/32565)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.