Village Post Office, Walton on the Hill

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1930 - 1940 (c.)

Description:From about 1900 the village post office in Walton-on-the-Hill was in the thatched cottage at 14 Walton Village, next to the smithy. It was run by Katherine Woods while her husband Samuel ran his painting and decorating business from the back of the premises. Katherine Woods ran the post office for 40 years until she died in 1941. As part of her job she took incoming telephone calls for villagers and made calls out for them. Her husband Samuel died in 1932.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

William Longson and Annie Longson, Walton School
William Longson and Annie Longson, Walton School

Photograph of William Longson (1867- 1948) and Annie Longson, nee Fryer (1872- 1950) ...

Walton on the Hill Post Office
Walton on the Hill Post Office

Samuel and Kathrine Woods at Walton on the Hill Post Office.

Walton on the Hill Smithy
Walton on the Hill Smithy

Mr W.M. Giles, the village blacksmith, shoeing a horse at Walton on the Hill Smithy ...

Related themes:

Postal Services Post Offices
View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Harvey Woods - Contributor

Image courtesy of: Mr Jim Foley

Donor ref:The_Old_Post_Office_Walton_on_the_Hill_001.jpg (55/25166)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.