Whitehurst clock face, Servants' Quarters, Shugbrough

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:2011

Description:Made by John Whitehurst of Derby in 1767, this clock face sits at the front of the Servants' Quarters and Stable block at Shugborough, between 1966 and 2016 the home of the Staffordshire County Museum. The clock is still in full working order.

It was installed at the same time that the building was rebuilt after a fire. The builder and architect of the new block was Charles Cope Trubshaw of Little Haywood.

John Whitehurst was born in Congleton, Cheshire in 1713, the son of a watch and clock maker, Whitehurst's contribution to the world of clocks was outstanding, but also his contribution to engineering and geology, stood him apart from his peers. He was a member of the Lunar Society, alongside Erasmus Darwin, Matthew Boulton, Josiah Wedgwood and James Watt. He died in 1788.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Staffordshire County Council - Creator

Donor ref:Stables-Clock-02.JPG (55/24893)

Source: Miscellaneous Collection

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.