Proposed Design for Stafford's Shire Hall,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1794 - 1795 (c.)

Description:Design for a new Shire Hall on Market Square.

In 1790 a decision was made to replace the old Elizabethan Shire Hall, which was in a poor state of repair. Several plans were submitted including ones by Samuel Wyatt, who was then working on Shugborough Hall, and John Nash, the favourite architect of the Prince Regent.

The chosen design for the present hall was by John Harvey, who worked as Wyatt's assistant in London. The building was erected between 1795 - 98 and was the third of its kind on approximately the same site. Building began behind the old Shire Hall so that once the old building was demolished the new one would face onto a large square.

Photograph donated by Stafford Historical and Civic Society, who retain copyright ownership.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1680s
Old Town Hall, Stafford,
Old Town Hall, Stafford,

There has been a shire building in Stafford since the 1280s, used as a meeting place ...

1840s
Market Square from the South, Stafford,
Market Square from the South, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1850s
Market Square, Stafford,
Market Square, Stafford,

Stafford possessed a market as early as 1206, when Edward the Elder passed a law ...

1880s
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,
Portrait of a Victorian Lady, Stafford,

Miniature studio portrait of Susy Macnaghten. She is wearing a ruched velvet ...

1890s
Children Celebrating Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Stafford,
Children Celebrating Victoria's Diamond Jubilee, Stafford,

1910s
Royal Mail Van, Stafford,
Royal Mail Van, Stafford,

Royal Mail van believed to be the first motor driven mail van in Stafford. The ...

1930s
Demolition of the Old Guildhall, Stafford
Demolition of the Old Guildhall, Stafford

The original Guildhall was built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts ...

1950s
King George VI Memorial Parade, Stafford,
King George VI Memorial Parade, Stafford,

Memorial Parade on Market Square for King George VI, who died in February 1952. Taking ...

1960s
Avon Players, 'The Dark Lady of the Sonnets', Stafford,
Avon Players, 'The Dark Lady of the Sonnets', Stafford,

Production of George Bernard Shaw's 'The Dark Lady of the Sonnets', produced by ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4080/3/30, img: 1817 (18/2264)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.