Guildhall, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1933

Description:The Guildhall on Market Square was designed by Charles Trubshaw and built in 1853. It housed the Borough Council, the courts and on the ground floor was a police station. The entrance to the market hall can be seen underneath the balcony.

By the 1930s a new police station was needed and one was constructed on the corner of Bath Street and Albion Place. This building was used up to the 1970s when the police moved to their present location in Pitcher Bank.

The Guildhall was demolished in 1934 when it was rebuilt further back from the square and the market was replaced by a shopping arcade.

Share:


Donor ref:P98.003.0029 (18/709)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.